• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

On turning 21.

22 posts in this topic

I'll be turning 21 in just over 5 weeks. I've never been much of one to drink, I've never gone out clubbing. That's just not really my style. All the same, I feel the need to do something special to mark the day. It just hit me today just what I think that should be. I want to purchase a 1/4 ounce 2007 Gold American Eagle in MS70. I would love to go for a 1/2 ounce or 1 ounce coin but I'm a college student and I don't think I can get away with that level of expenditure (I could probably pull off the 1/2 coin but I probably wouldn't survive my mother if I did).

This does present me with another problem however. I've never priced gold. I see one dealer offering one for $243+shipping, which seems reasonable but I'm not sure.

Anyone willing to offer a comment for a college kid considering his first gold purchase?

I realize you are looking to buy a certified MS70, however, these often come from the US Mint as either MS69 or MS70 and I do not think the certification will help you in the future if you need to liquidate the purchase. Therefore, have you simply thought of purchasing one from the US Mint? The burnished 2007-W quarter-ounce AGEs are $195.95 while the proof 2007 quarter-ounce AGEs are $209.95 and both come with rather attractive original Mint packaging.

I realize you are looking to buy a certified MS70, however, these often come from the US Mint as either MS69 or MS70 and I do not think the certification will help you in the future if you need to liquidate the purchase. Therefore, have you simply thought of purchasing one from the US Mint? The burnished 2007-W quarter-ounce AGEs are $195.95 while the proof 2007 quarter-ounce AGEs are $209.95 and both come with rather attractive original Mint packaging.

You do make a good point and I had considered it. I like the way the mint packages them but I'm not sure I'd want to deal with the mint if they sent me a dud. I also wanted to be able to add the coin to my registry, especially since I might eventually get more than just the 2007 (They started making the eagles the same year I was born so I've always been a fan).

I'm feeling kinda silly because it didn't occur to me until just now to run a "completed auctions" search on eBay. It looks like they're trending for about $190-210 for a bullion strike and about $200-$220 for an uncirc quarter ounce in MS70. With those price trends I'd be foolish to pay $243 (especially since the dealer is also offering then on ebay where they're selling for $40 less). If I'm a little patient I might be able to get a nice deal.

I would suggest you post a WTB (want to buy) post in the Marketplace forum. There are many folks on here both dealers and collectors that based on my experience are more than fair with their dealings on here. Someone may have what you are looking for at a fair market price.

Rey

APMEX has a listing for the $10 Gold Eagle, NGC MS70 Early Release at $239.

DLRC has one NGC MS70 at auction with a BIN of $244. The current bid is $50, but the reserve has not been met. I don't know if they would tell you what the reserve is if you asked.

Chris

Go to Las Vegas or enjoy the day have a good time 50 yrs from now do you want to look back and say yea when I turned 21 I bought a coin .Do your birthday like it your last you never know

Go to Las Vegas or enjoy the day have a good time 50 yrs from now do you want to look back and say yea when I turned 21 I bought a coin .Do your birthday like it your last you never know

True, but it's not that easy. 4 days after my birthday I'm going to have 4 back-to-back tests. I'm not going to be able to get away with much other than practice problems and reviews.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Heck, I'd look to see about buying a lower graded half eagle from say 1907 instead of 2007, a nice AU coin would probably come close to melt! It might take some hunting, but could be fun (I just checked and APMEX has an 01-S in XF-40 for $218).

Heck, I'd look to see about buying a lower graded half eagle from say 1907 instead of 2007, a nice AU coin would probably come close to melt! It might take some hunting, but could be fun (I just checked and APMEX has an 01-S in XF-40 for $218).

One of these days I'll definitely look into some older gold but I don't know that I want to mess with that now with my lack of knowledge and the fact that so much is supposedly doctored/cleaned/modified, even in the slabs.

Well, in a BIG surprise today the mint pulled the Uncirc eagles as a purchasing item. The coins are going to be replaced and put up for sale again but they won't be up for purchase again for atleast 2 weeks. I wasn't expecting that from the mint but gold has gone up lately. Anyway, that removed that option...

Today was payday and I noticed a 2007 MS70 ER going for a nice price from a seller I trust, so I decided to place a bid. I won it for $191.00 which I think is very nice. I'll get to see it face to face for the first time probably on Oct 20, the day after I turn 21 and I'm not going to add the coin to my registry until my birthday.

I would go after a pre-1933 gold purchase (2.5 cornet head) myself but only after spending a night out, on the town. Be sure to get a friend to drive or grab a cab with everyone. Get out and turn 21, maybe even meet a woman that will liberate you from this addicting torture called numismatics.

I would go after a pre-1933 gold purchase (2.5 cornet head) myself but only after spending a night out, on the town. Be sure to get a friend to drive or grab a cab with everyone. Get out and turn 21, maybe even meet a woman that will liberate you from this addicting torture called numismatics.

Well, I get paid 2 more times between now and then so my spending money will have recovered enough to allow for a night out, so we'll see. The cab isn't really necessary though. It's a long story but I'm a 50 to 100 yard walk from about 3 or 4 bars.... There's also a strip club in town but I'd need to locate that... :insane: ... don't get me started on the subject of women.

Don't listen to what other folks think you should do for your birthday; do what is right for you.

I listen to what others say but I've always marched to my own drummer, which is why I'm trying hard to make sure no one else in my all male dorm finds out when I'm turning 21. I think I'd be dragged to the bar, especially since it's on a Friday this year. (paranoid)

The day itself will probably pass with little remark. The day after will be spent with family which will be nice (I only get to see them once every one to two months and I'm sure that'll become only more infrequent with time).

Revenant---- Congrats on turning 21----And Tom B's advice is always right on target.

I'm really responding to your thread because I just had a daughter turn 21 this past January. Times have sure changed since I turned 21 while at college. I didn't go out. I was too busy studying. Anyway, she and her three girl roommates did have a party ----another student turned 21 that week too. But, like you, my daughter does her own thing. And, from what I heard, she left the party and went to bed. And, like you, she worries about her work more than she does about where the next party is located. She has a career goal in focus.

Nothing wrong with having a good time with friends. But, also nothing wrong with doing the event as you wish to do it. And, it, IMHO, is all about what is inside the individual person.

I remember something my daughter told me when she was 18. She said that she never does anything that she feels would embarrass her later. I thought about that comment since then and find that 3 years later she appears to still be that way. So, as you say. march to your own drummer----and enjoy the time with the family and the folks. Bob [supertooth]

Do something with friends.

The thing about buying a coin is that you'll definitely be able to buy more expensive coins later. If you really want to buy a coin, have a family member or friend help you pick a classic coin that doesn't look like many other coins out there. Involving other people will make it more memorable.

I went to Atlantic City with a couple of friends for my 21st. I wouldn't trade that for a coin, ever.