• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well, we've kicked this around for awhile...

16 posts in this topic

• Administrator

And now it's here. Coin Tangents. The line between what should go in here versus what goes in the U.S. Coin forum is something that will probably remain a little gray, and will probably need to be felt out (that's out... OUT) by the membership. So feel free to post things in here that seem appropriate, and don't worry too much about being super exact or picky about what goes here versus the U.S. Coin board. Just let that distinction define itself gradually over time.

Long term, though, this should be a good way to maintain a nice focus in the U.S. and World Coin forums on the numismatically-high-octane posts, while at the same time leaving the freedom to discuss other things that aren't quite straight up numismatics, but neither are they water cooler material.

Anyway, we'll see how it works out. Have fun with it.

juggle.gifpopcorn.gifthumbsup2.gif

Arch

• Administrator

By the way, if you were the author of the starting post for a currently active thread that you'd like moved here, you can send me a PM and I'll do it.

If you weren't the thread author, no dice. hi.gif

However, as always, the moderators (as the standard develops) may move threads here at their discretion to help maintain on-topic discussion in the various boards.

I know this is an unsolicited opinion, but, I don't know that I like the new set up. It's not like there are a tremendous amount of topics to begin with on the US coin board and now that number of topics will be even smaller with the further fragmentation and compartmentalization of the boards. Also, the link for this forum is about three links below the link for the US coin forum on my Main Index page. If this is a long-term board I would think that it should be listed directly below the US coin forum link so that people see it easily and are directed to it. Sorry to sound like a curmudgeon, I just don't like this idea. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

• Administrator

Yah. Some of those same issues are what kept me from doing this for a long time. This was actually a requested board quite some time ago. But like you, I was concerned it might overly fragment the posting volume. However, recently we've seen an influx of new members, and a number of topics that, while interesting to the community, also tended to bump down some of the more numismatically oriented posts. That was happening enough that I saw a few different comments about the negative side of that activity.

So, I thought we'd give this board a run and see how it works out. I was actually divded about whether to leave it on top - as a board general enough to apply to all of the sub boards (world, U.S., registry, etc.) or push it down a bit to give emphasis for the more "pure" coin topics. If it seems to make sense to people, we may move it to the top.

Beyond all of that, there's also the possibility that having a board available with a less narrow definition of "on topic" may actually encourage posting and discussion on topics that members may have been hesitant to post before. Any hesitation may have been because they felt that their topic was a little too far off from numismatics to post, but a little too coin-community or hobby related to play well in the water cooler. Thus this board may lead to increased discussion.

In any case, it seemed like it might be time to give it a whirl and see how it works out. Worst case, we recombine the boards and move on.

Arch

I like it, too - but put it on top. After all, I really hate to have to scroll down below the Registry Forum and its 10 posts per month.... grin.gif

Hey, we can start posting more there and nix those nasty Gobrecht dollars. wink.gif

I think as this site gets more and more posters, the wisdom of creating this forum will become even more apparent.

Me too and that is why I suggested it. I expect a award_icon2003.gif Award for my wonderful suggestion. 27_laughing.gif

Can anyone provide an example list of what is meant for here and what is meant for the US Coin forum? I like those Right Wrong lists that come with assembly instructions.

For here:

"I like Danscos better than Whitmans" Right?

"Check out this new coin I got" Wrong for here?

I don't want to screw up. Thanks.

Also, I would recommend expanding the description of the US Coin Forum to say something like "for coin topics, for coin related topics, see Coin Tangent forum." Of course those aren't the right words but you get the gist. Something to guide people to this tangent forumm esp. since this forum is 3 below the us coin forum.

Its a great idea, having a sub-forum.

I remember suggesting it too to the `PIGS` `coirns R us

four-rums`

To make a `spill-over forum` so as to clean out all the peanut

gallery threads.

If I were admin over there, i,d have the `Other Issues` sub-forum filled up in half and hour easy.