• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirty Snipers! Fight Fair I Say!

28 posts in this topic

I had an idea recently...

Instead of a specific time for an auction to end, why not have it end 10 seconds after the final bid? Then an item would go for its true value, rather than a last second snipe. Anyone feel the same?

Instead of a specific time for an auction to end, why not have it end 10 seconds after the final bid? Then an item would go for its true value, rather than a last second snipe. Anyone feel the same?

I'd say 30 secs since if you're the high bidder you have to be able to refresh, see you've been outbid, enter a new value and confirm. That can be a little tough. That damn uber-sniper I just ran into only managed a new bid every 11-12 seconds, not 10.

Good idea, Chad. After the ending time if no bids occur after 1 minute the highest bid wins as it should be. When you end a bid at an exact time, sniping shouldn't bother anyone as if you bid high enough the snipe wouldn't overcome you unless you did not.

The person who is willing to pay the most and who executes the bid wins the lot. It's really that simple. If the coins were worth more to you then you should have bid a higher amount. If not, then someone else valued them more than you.

Chad's idea was employed by Heritage very briefly and they received significant flak over it so that they subsequently scrapped the experiment after only a few auctions.

I agree with Tom, but I generally try to bid at the end of an auction. I do that because sometimes folks will change their mind on what they are willing to pay for a coin. I don’t like to give them that chance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180156401466&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=008

That guy is officially on my mess list! 6 bids in 70 seconds! Who does that? :pullhair:

I'd been watching that for over 2 days... :tonofbricks:

So, if you were willing to bid more than he did you should have done so before waiting too late.

If people will simply bid their max in the first place then they wouldn't need to get upset about snipers. They would either win at a price they were willing to pay or someone else would want it more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180156401466&ssPageName=STRK:MEDW:IT&ih=008

That guy is officially on my mess list! 6 bids in 70 seconds! Who does that? :pullhair:

So, if you were willing to bid more than he did you should have done so before waiting too late.

If people will simply bid their max in the first place then they wouldn't need to get upset about snipers. They would either win at a price they were willing to pay or someone else would want it more.

I agree with all points but this is a good one.

I don't always want to show my bid too early, because some shiller will just bid me up higher than it could be. I watch over 50 auctions at a time(maybe more). I have no idea which I might win(especially on a Sunday night). Sniping gives me a chance to cancel my bid in case I already spent too much money or won a similar coin. Ebay doesn't like you to cancel your bid. Teletrade has all auctions end at the same time, so you might know where you stand at 10:00

Blame eBay, not the snipers!

If people will simply bid their max in the first place then they wouldn't need to get upset about snipers.

OKbustchaser:

I tried the above a few years ago when I first started bidding on eBay.

It didn't work for me. Either:

(1) People (who were serious buyers) would keep bidding until they figured out my maximum bid, or

(2) Shill buyers would figure out my max and hope I would bid higher.

Number (2) worked against me a few times. Because I collect LECBH by die states there were occasions when a rare die state would come up and max. price I was comfortable paying (my initial max. bid) wasn't necessarily the REAL max I would pay if I was forced to.

Usually rare die states are not nearly as expensive as rare die marriages. There are very few Bust Half die state collectors. This means that unless you get into a bidding war, these rare coins are not that expensive.

The only solution to this problem for me was to bid in the final 5 seconds of the auction and hope I wasn't outbid by another sniper bidder.

I agree with Tom, but I generally try to bid at the end of an auction. I do that because sometimes folks will change their mind on what they are willing to pay for a coin. I don’t like to give them that chance.

He bid 6 times in 70 seconds. Not once. 6 times. It was the last one the finally got me.

The guy bid 6 times in 70 seconds. This was sniper bidding on crack! IF this was an issue of a single bid overtaking mine that then I'd agree that your point is valid, but he didn't. He went through a series of extremely rapid bids. He started at about the 75 second mark and kept bidding higher until time ran out. It just so happens that his last bid finally got me.

If you are Visitant4804, you have 5 bids yourself today. Ebay has now made it easier to bid quickly. There is a difference here between sniping. This is someone who manually kept on bidding to try to get the high bid rather than an electronic program designed to bid in the last few seconds. Put your one bid in with your max bid and walk away. I looked at his last 5 or so wins and they all seem Kosher.

He bid 6 times in 70 seconds. Not once. 6 times. It was the last one the finally got me.

The winning bidder behaved more like a bidiot than a sniper.

The winning bidder behaved more like a bidiot than a sniper.

I agree

uBid has this in place, only it's 10 minutes instead of 10 seconds.

Personally, snipers don't bother me at all, and I've been sniped countless times. If my bid wasn't high enough, then I didn't deserve to win. The best strategy is and always has been to place your best and highest right off the top, then forget about the auction until it's over. I don't snipe myself, but I don't care if others do.

If I place a max bid of $50 for an item and it takes the bid at $10 until the last 75 seconds and someone bids $15 my max bid will automatically bid higher, then again at $20 and so on. It may appear that I bid 7 times in the last minute or so but in actuality was only the one max bid. The highest bidder should win whether they bid the first day of the auction or the last 10 seconds. As a seller Chad's idea would be great, as for the average ebay buyer it would suck. I buy and sell equally on ebay but I would still vote for it.

I've never found anything wrong with sniping. The bottom line is, the highest bid wins the item.....period.

Paul

'Zactly!

www.bidnappers.com

I like sniping programs, because, as mentioned, one can cancel their bids at any time. After re-evaluating the price of the coin or the coin's merit, one decides to pass then there is no issues about it. Plus, since the bid is placed at the last minute, there is less chance of shilling bids and egos in play to win the coin at any cost. For $20 a year, bidnapper is just good sense, IMO.

I've never found anything wrong with sniping. The bottom line is, the highest bid wins the item.....period.

Paul

'Zactly!

www.bidnappers.com

I like sniping programs, because, as mentioned, one can cancel their bids at any time. After re-evaluating the price of the coin or the coin's merit, one decides to pass then there is no issues about it. Plus, since the bid is placed at the last minute, there is less chance of shilling bids and egos in play to win the coin at any cost. For $20 a year, bidnapper is just good sense, IMO.

Victor's only problem is that he is a poor loser. He'll whine and cry for days. Now see, Caleb isn't like that. If he gets locked out on the balcony all night, he'll just sit there patiently waiting for his master to open the damn door! lol

Chris

Poor Caleb. :( I sure felt bad about it. At least it was cool out that night.

You know that I'm just funnin' with ya big guy. Does Caleb still pee on your shoes?

Chris