• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many dealers that you know actually pay more for "original" material?

12 posts in this topic

Recent publications have been noting that dealers are crying the blues about not having enough original material to sell and can't buy enough of it. These articles go on to note that original material is can sell at significant premiums and dealers are willing to pay a premium for the same such material.

BAH! The dealers in my area could give a rat's about original or not. They look at the sheet and say 10% in back of bid. Take it or leave it. So that leaves eBay which is a hit or miss situation. Usually, you'll have all the bottom feeders going after the material at wholesale prices unless there's something truly rare about the piece.

There are many "original" coins which are ugly or otherwise undesirable looking and trade at discounts, rather than premiums. On the other hand, attractive looking "original" coins can go for moon money. So, it's not just a matter of "original", but instead "attractive original" or "ugly original". ;)

I guess I should have clarified that the only reason I see dealers paying more is exactly for what you're talking about...but those are for the truly rare exceptional pieces, not just simply nice, eye-appealing original material. Also, keep in mind Mark, that I'm usually deal with nicer, circulated material.

Few Arizona dealers will pay premiums for attractive, original coins. But, when the time comes to show a nice coin to a customer, the PQ issue will quickly surface and the dealer's price will be accordingly adjusted up by 10%-30% (much more for some items, particularly nice early coppers or Capped Bust halves)

A Short Story:

042.gif

This is you.

1281.gif

this is you and the dealer making a deal.

1286.gif

This is the dealer calling his customers telling them he just

got in some nice original material.

057.gif

This is the Dealers customer base.

596.gif

The face of the new buyer.

356.gif

The face of the dealer.

316.gif

The Dealer heading out to Santa Anita race track with all the profits.

dealers will pay as little as possible for it

now if at a major coin show with many dealers vying for good coins in a really good liquid in demand market and you show them a coin they love and have a customer for and is sexy eye appealling and original with many buyers who will pay strong for it and also msny dealers also

then yes a reasonable dealer for example mark feld will pay really strongly+++++ for it

BAH! The dealers in my area could give a rat's about original or not. They look at the sheet and say 10% in back of bid. Take it or leave it.

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. How many countless, innumerable times has a coin collector walked up to my table picked out my best, most original album-toned bust halves to look at, then promptly whipped out his greysheet and offered me all the way up to full greysheet bid (whoopee) for those coins?

I must ask you: how many collectors actually pay more for original coins?

I routinely pay more for nice coins with original surfaces, as much as 3x for some Capped Bust halves. I NEVER have had the experience of a local dealer, to whom I was offering coins for sale, telling me that my PQ slabbed coins would sell for more so he was therefore willing to offer me more. The problem is that most local B & M dealers passively depend on clients walking in with coins to sell, rather than placing 'wanted to buy' ads, routinely going to national conventions in search of fresh material, etc. [Rick Snow is a notable exception in Arizona.] These dealers typically have clientele who are very price conscious and somewhat less quality conscious.

Recent publications have been noting that dealers are crying the blues about not having enough original material to sell and can't buy enough of it. These articles go on to note that original material is can sell at significant premiums and dealers are willing to pay a premium for the same such material.

Original Translation: None of these coins are upgrade candidates. They're all maxed out.

Original Translation: None of these coins are upgrade candidates. They're all maxed out.

To a large extent, I agree with that translation. Whenever I hear dealers say "I can't find any coins", I know they mean something very different than that. After all, they most often say it at COIN shows where they are surrounded by massive quantities of the very things they're claiming they can't find. :makepoint:

To a large extent, I agree with that translation. Whenever I hear dealers say "I can't find any coins", I know they mean something very different than that. After all, they most often say it at COIN shows where they are surrounded by massive quantities of the very things they're claiming they can't find. :makepoint:

lol Good observation!

"There aren't any decent coins out there!" cry the dealer and collector at the coin show. A naive collector suggests, "Why don't you check out XYZ's table-- he's got lots of original material" With an air of offense, the dealer and other collector huff, "We don't buy foreign junk-- we're real coin collectors!"