• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good buy or a bunch of dirt?

10 posts in this topic

I plopped a BIN down on this item on ebay yesterday:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180156607331

I am anxious to receive the coins, it looks like there could be some decent pieces included pending conservation efforts. Like the seller states, the '68, '69 and '73 look like good candidates. I hope the '72 will come out nice too, it looks like a solid EF-45 details from the photos.

What do you think, would you have bitten or passed on this one?

-Broc

I understand the negatives which have been pointed out, thank you for your opinions! What I see from the relatively poor scans are coins with possible potential. In any case I don't expect any of the coins to be completely salvagable but with proper conservation I think the relative value may be justified, considering just a few of the given dates in the details grade, without problems, would be valued in the range of the BIN price alone. At least 10% of the cost is recouped immediately by the album! In the end the coins in hand will be the determining factor. I won't be returning them since they were accurately described. I will have to do a before and after post with the better coins once I receive and conserve them.

-Broc

The 1872 does appear to have substantial meat, but the price level where they were obtained is beyond where I would feel comfortable with parking my money within this niche. Many of the coins, even those not obviously cleaned, look as though they were dug out of the ground at one time. I also agree that the seller appears to be explaining the coins well and think that your acceptance of these pieces as described is a tribute to you, too.

I think many would be surprised at what even ugly semi-key Indian cents bring, especially at auction. I sold off my worst, most horrible set in an auction a few months ago, and got $300 more than expected. The price seems just "OK" to me - not great, but not bad either.