• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 S Morgan DDO PL ? I need help!

7 posts in this topic

I just picked this coin up at a local coin shop. I personally im not a collector of morgans but for the price i got it at and when looking at the coin i feel it has some potential. It looks to me it has a shot at PL and the date and lower stars appear to be doubled. Im no pro with morgans so wanted to get some opinions before sending it in. Ill send it in using a free grade but just wanna see what i can expect. The toning isnt that dramatic as i used light to show the detail. It is very light and doesnt show unless ALOT of light is used. edit added a better pic of the date.

morgand001.jpg

morgand002.jpg

morgand2003.jpg

Looks to have some doubling around the hair also. can't tell if it's pl or not with the pics tho'. Nice morgan. The toning is throwing me off a little but I'm not real good with that.

The toning looks nothing like the pic :( The only way my camera would focus good and show detail was to use a high source of light which makes it look alot more colorful than it really is :( I sent the coin off to NGC since i have some free grades and paid for the VP so hopefully they see what i do and put it on the label lol. Either way i only paid 20 bux for the coin :) Going back tomorrow and picking up some others i saw that where sweet.

It doesn't look like a doubled die, and the fact that the date and stars are both doubled in the same direction and by the same amount argues against it. (the date is not part of the hub so doubling caused by the hubbing, a doubled die, would not affect the date and repunching of the date would not be too likely to be in the same direction and amount.) Most likely just machine doubling. I wouldn't get real excited about the possibility of a PL either. 1881-S dollars typically come beautiful and there are more PL, and DMPL's for this date than any other in the series. The 1880-S and 1881-S dollars probably account for close to 75% of all the PL and DMPL Morgans.