• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show me the rariest coin you can in the worst condition.

23 posts in this topic

I've seen some really poor truly rare coins in my time, but this one might the best. It's an 1848 CAL $2.50 gold piece. It's worn down to AG-G and it has a big hole. To add to the fun the obverse is a love token.

1848CAL.jpg

I guess it depends on how you define rare. This 1786 Connecticut Copper is not in the best condition. Does anyone know the mintage figures for these?

Rey

PostColonialRev.jpg

PostColonialObv.jpg

I guess it depends on how you define rare. This 1786 Connecticut Copper is not in the best condition. Does anyone know the mintage figures for these?

Rey

PostColonialRev.jpg

PostColonialObv.jpg

Mintage figures, no. But the number of survivors is in the thousands. Time was old time new England dealers and collectors viewed them as "common." They aren't any more. Most are now in collections.

There are over three hundred die varties of these. Some of those varieties are really rare, and there are those maintain condition census info. The die variety book is by a man named Miller and I don't own one. I've never had a reason because my interest in the series is limited to one type coin.

Sorry, I'll just have to look at the others. The rarest coins I have are the 2001-D Kennedy Mint Error and the 2005-S Kansas SQ Mint Error. :blahblah: :blahblah:

Chris

That CAL is spectacular, Bill, is it yours? hm

No, a dealer gave it to me "on loan" years and years ago. I took a slide of it (digital cameras did not exist back then), but I didn't buy it. I think the asking price was $1,200. Although the coin is full of history and gold came from a cool place, I just couldn't spring $1,200 for something that looked like this.

Would this qualify?

1872corobv356.jpg

1872corev357.jpg

This is pretty bad, but I've seen worse. I saw an 1877 Indian a guy had found on the beach. It had a cut on the right side and most of the design was gone, but the date was clear, and the digits were all the right shape. I was pretty sure it was genuine, but I won't pay $20 for it and neither would any of the other dealers at the show.

Darn! I cannot find a photo of the Eliasberg 1854-S quarter eagle in Good-6. :censored:

I've got the Eliasberg catalog and the picture, but copywrite laws really prevent me from posting it. I know about the coin to which you refer.

I've seen some really poor truly rare coins in my time, but this one might the best. It's an 1848 CAL $2.50 gold piece. It's worn down to AG-G and it has a big hole. To add to the fun the obverse is a love token.
Low grade, damaged and altered!

I'm not sure problem-free PO1s can be considered the "worst condition" now that people are actively collecting and paying premiums for them. Maybe the coin also has to be damaged like in the OP?

What's the rarest coin with the worst condition, damaged finest known?

The only known example of the rarer Strawberry leaf variety 1793 cent, known in Sheldon as NC-2, was graded by Sheldon as a Poor or Basal State-1. The more recent EAC condition census calls it a Fair-2.

In well over 100 years of seaching, only one example is known.

The only known example of the rarer Strawberry leaf variety 1793 cent, known in Sheldon as NC-2, was graded by Sheldon as a Poor or Basal State-1. The more recent EAC condition census calls it a Fair-2.

Thanks. That's very cool.

It's almost disappointing that it's graded FR2 now instead of PO1. Gradeflation?

Isn't the title of this thread Show me the rarest..... ?

:jokealert:

worthless.gif

Isn't the title of this thread Show me the rarest..... ?

:jokealert:

worthless.gif

That's nice, but I don't own the coin, and I don't have the copyright to any of the pictures in my reference books. (shrug)

Here's a link, but it does not show the unique coin in FR-2.

1793 Strawberry Leaf Cent