• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sacagawea fever

17 posts in this topic

I guess it’s become official that the mint is going to issue Sacagawea dollars with different reverses every year. After all the Sackie dollars have to keep up with the Prez dollars in the number of useless coins the mint can create.

At any rate there is a frenzy over there now over Sackie dollars. They’ve even got on string where they are posting pictures of circulated Sackie dollars and commenting about how beautiful they are. That makes about much sense as checking out the monuments you dog leaves in the back yard comparing them for beauty and summitry. A brown tarnished Sackie dollar is truly an ugly coin IMO.

At any rate, if you want to see an example of mass hysteria among collectors who have truly lost their marbles and have become slaves to any new mint product, check it out. Frankly it makes me want to puke. :P

A brown tarnished Sackie dollar is truly an ugly coin IMO.

A bright shiny Sacagawea dollar is a truly ugly coin. She looks like one of the creatures in an alien movie. Here is a picture posted ATS.

2007sac.jpg

I swear, one second after this picture was taken, Sacagawea opened her mouth and an 8 foot long tongue shot out and pierced some guys skull to eat his brain. The baby on her back is actually her dessert.

One of the problems with the public using pres dollar coins is that there are going to be so many designs. Most of the public can ID the Washington dollar, but most of them, I'd guess, can't recognize the later issues. This leads to suspicion, and the simple solution is to just not use them. That's been my experience.

I quit spending them because I got tired of the pause, the squint, the question, and the suspicious look.

Now, each issue, I just buy a couple rolls, pull the nicest one for my set, re-roll the rest and include a random pres dollar to replace any I took out. Then it's back to the bank.

Ditch the paper dollar, then I'll use them.

Go to circle k get the paper some soda and chips pay with a Susan B dollar with a Washington dollar

Adams dollar and a Jefferson dollar with a Sacagawea and watch the clerks face.

priceless

Go to circle k get the paper some soda and chips pay with a Susan B dollar with a Washington dollar

Adams dollar and a Jefferson dollar with a Sacagawea and watch the clerks face.

priceless

You are an evil person sir lol

Best part is trying to guess which slot in their coin draw they put them in. One lady while I watched her put 3 in one slot and 2 in a different one.Somebody will get some bonus change

I remember this one time around finals this girl came up and asked me out of the blue if I could give her a dollar because she had the wrong scantron and didn't have time to go back to her apartment to get her wallet. I pulled out a Sac and handed that to her (I a sucker when it comes to blondes in short shorts). She thanked me, took about 2 steps, looked at it again, and asked me if it was a dollar or a quarter? lol She seemed to accept it when I told her that it was a dollar.

I'm sorry but I just don't agree. It's not like I'm going to go out and start a date set of Sacs but the coin is a nice design, both front and back. I agree with Bill's assesment on the coloring but compared to Ikes, SBAs or any of these crappy Presidential dollars the Sac looks like a Saint in comparison. The eagle on the back is a pretty good rendition too and comparable to the reverse of the SLQ, IMO.

jom

I'm sorry but I just don't agree. It's not like I'm going to go out and start a date set of Sacs but the coin is a nice design, both front and back. I agree with Bill's assesment on the coloring but compared to Ikes, SBAs or any of these crappy Presidential dollars the Sac looks like a Saint in comparison. The eagle on the back is a pretty good rendition too and comparable to the reverse of the SLQ, IMO.

jom

The reverse is definitely better, but that's the side they're getting rid of. :(

jom

yes, compared to the presidential dollars, the much maligned sac is rather nice. but that's like comapring new york's landfill with chicago's.

I still think you are all way off base. I'd take the Sac over almost ANY coin with a President's face and add Franklin in while I'm at it.

Then again, if you aren't a fan of dead Presidents on coinage (like me) then we are back to the NY vs. Chicago landfill analogy again. lol

jom

I'd take the Sac over almost ANY coin with a President's face and add Franklin in while I'm at it.
What about SBA?

You mean the picture of the grumpy looking old woman? I can pass on that one most days.