• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please contact Ebay and help stop this scammer

26 posts in this topic

A forum member alerted me to these suspicious listings and I have now traced two of the images he is using to the May 2007 Heritage sale - the 1873-CC and the 1882 Trade Dollars. I am confident most or all of the other images are from Heritage sales, as well, but am about to get on a plane and can't check further at the moment.

Also, the seller's contact phone number is no good (I called it and got a message indicating that the voice-mail box for that number has not been set up yet). This is unquestionably a scam and the more people who contact Ebay, the better. Thanks for any help.

Scammer's listings

Seller: power_auction1314

The sellers may list Mission Viejo, California, United States for the item location but one has to assume from the text that this auction was written by a foreigner who can handle chop sticks in the dark.

opener statement: ATTENTION US

(who, US or United States?)

The use of the word "papermoney" instead of currency

It expects 7 - 10 days to delivery - wrong verbiage

need carriage -terminology not used in the US

but if the items is coin add one need add $2.5 ???

Happy Bidding and Good Luck!! -just about the closing sentence in every Chinese run auction.

The trade dollar section in ebay is a cesspool

Sure. You just say that so you have less competition for the rare Trade dollars like this:

56456333_o.jpg

All of this sellers feedback is from China :o

Perhaps more significantly still, they're all private auctions. You aren't even allowed to see what everyone is so happy about. hm

Seller: power_auction1314

Much nicer than shown, great fire! Fast ship. Great help.Thank you very much!

lol

Anyone know where I can get some "great fire" of my own? lol

For that matter, I wouldn't mind owning a "fast ship", especially if it comes with "great fire" :o

For that matter, I wouldn't mind owning a "fast ship", especially if it comes with "great fire" :o

You really wouldn't want it, James.................too much smoke and water damage.

Chris

Suddenly ALL his listing disappeared

heheh

Good WOrk Mark once again

Unfortunately, they disappeared only because the sales ended at the time he scheduled them. Ebay did not shut him down, though I am hoping something good happens today.

heheh

Unfortunately, they disappeared only because the sales ended at the time he scheduled them. Ebay did not shut him down, though I am hoping something good happens today.

Argghhh

heheh

If you look at his past sold items, you'll see where he likely got his feedback from. He sold the same fake junk coin 29 times and kept ending the auction early to sell it at 3c. They're private listings, so no way to confirm, but it is highly likely.

He also sold some foreign coins yesterday. Looks like he didn't fool many people because some nice stuff whet well below melt.

I have been told by the ANA that Ebay has removed the seller's auctions. (thumbs u

You have been told wrong. His auctions still show as being completed. If they were removed, they would not still be there.

I have been told by the ANA that Ebay has removed the seller's auctions. (thumbs u

You have been told wrong. His auctions still show as being completed. If they were removed, they would not still be there.

The one I bid on is no longer showing up on my Ebay bidding page, which indicated to me that Ebay cancelled it after it closed??

I just got the email below from Ebay, so I believe I was correct.

Dear i-like-rare-coins (ebayantiquer@san.rr.com),

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:

Item Number - 280150448868

Item Title - 1881 Trade Dollars very beautiful !!!

Our records show that you were a bidder or buyer of one or more of this seller's items. We recently removed this seller's active listings and suspended the seller's trading privileges. Due to privacy concerns we cannot share further details about this seller.

If the seller asks you to complete this transaction outside of eBay, we strongly recommend that you do not proceed with the transaction. Transactions for items listed on eBay but then completed off of the eBay platform are not covered by buyer protection programs offered by eBay and can be highly indicative of fraud. For more information on Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay, copy and past the following Help Page link into your browser: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html.

If you have already paid for this item but have not received it, you should take all possible steps to receive reimbursement.

1. If an amicable resolution cannot be reached, the buyer can close their Item Not Received dispute and escalate it to a claim. If the transaction was paid for using PayPal and qualifies for PayPal Buyer Protection the claim will be routed to PayPal for review typically within 30 days. (http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/faq/itemnotreceivedprocess.html)

2. Stop payment with your bank if you paid by check.

3. Contact the Security Department of your credit card company to file a chargeback if you paid via credit card.

4. If you paid via Western Union or MoneyGram, contact the company directly (Western Union 800-325-6000 or MoneyGram 800-926-9400). eBay does not protect payments made via Western Union or MoneyGram per our Acceptable Payments Policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html).

5. If you paid with PayPal, eligible transactions will receive coverage up to $200 at no additional cost. However, the majority of transactions may be covered up to $2,000. To file a claim with PayPal, login to your PayPal account and copy and paste the following link into your web browser: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/protections-buyer-outside. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the File a Claim link. PayPal claims must be filed within 45 days of the close of the listing. It may take at least 30 days to complete the investigation and resolve the dispute.

Please do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)

The one I bid on is no longer showing up on my Ebay bidding page, which indicated to me that Ebay cancelled it after it closed??

When I posted the above, the auctions were still there. It now looks like the auctions have now been pulled, the seller is NARUed, and a ton of the shill feedback members have also been NARUed.

When I posted the above, the auctions were still there. It now looks like the auctions have now been pulled, the seller is NARUed, and a ton of the shill feedback members have also been NARUed.

I can live with that. ;) Perhaps I was just clairvoyant? (shrug):devil:

Nice work Mark!

I like to read the feedback before I buy anything from the seller, and not a single one made any sense. Lots of questions marks and all were private. Thank you for taking the time to bust these sellers. :applause:

John :)