• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint games

6 posts in this topic

Last year the US Mint charged $1375.00 for the Proof Platinum Eagle set. Today they have released the price for the 2003 Set - $1995.00 - I guess inflation is back. I guess that's why the delay.

Why do I hate the US Mint...

Here is the link:

US Mint Platinum Release

Todd news.gif

And I just returned my first coins to the U.S. mint for the first time in a long, long time. The dime in one of the silver Proof sets that I ordered came through with a BIG finger print on it. This was not a passing brush with a naked finger. This was BIG one that covered to whole face of the coin which could have been sent to the FBI for identification if the person had had a brush with the law.

I sent the set back and kept the 9 others I had ordered with instructions checked that I wanted a replacement. A couple days ago I get a message that I'm getting a refund. mad.gif That's just great. They send me a bum set that I have to spend money to return to them and then they ignore my instructions. foreheadslap.gif

It's been my recent perception, and maybe it is a wrong one, that the service from the mint has been slipping. The last group of 10 clad Proof sets that I got were OK, but nothing special. None of them rated a return, but I doubt that there were very many PR-68s & 69s in the group. All of them had at least a coin or two with some tiny flaws.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Last year the US Mint charged $1375.00 for the Proof Platinum Eagle set. Today they have released the price for the 2003 Set - $1995.00 - I guess inflation is back. I guess that's why the delay.

Why do I hate the US Mint...

Here is the link:

US Mint Platinum Release

Todd news.gif

Todd,

To be fair, at the current platinum price, the proof set has a melt price of $1,300, give or tak, so the $1,375 wasn't going to be realistic as a price. It looks like the premium with the new price is in line with the premium percentage that the four coin gold set has over the spot value of the gold proofs.

All that I can say is that I'm glad that I bought the proof gold and platinum sets last year. They will serve as a type set because I'm sure the heck am not purchasing the sets at those prices!!! foreheadslap.gif

Do you think that the prior sets will see a substantial increase in value beyond the increase because of bullion prices?

The mint is getting a little more bizarre...I placed my order over the weekend, and when I check the status, it says "there is a problem with your order" and I click that to find out what the problem is, and It informs me that if that message persists for 48 hours to call the customer service line. So this morning I call the service line, and they said that the order is fine, and there is something wrong with their website that makes every order look like there is a problem processing the order??? stooges.gif That just seems insane to me, but I don't care really as long as I get me coins!

I ordered my First Flight $10 on Thursday, and I keep getting the urge to go check my order status every few hours. It's almost as bad as when I've got coins in for grading. laugh.gif