• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are PCGS slabs next?

13 posts in this topic

PCGS slabs were copied years ago. The joke among dealers was, "I wonder if HIS coins might be graded better than the PCGS coins?" :bump:

At any rate PCGS found out who did it and fried their tails, I think. At any rate I this was during the rattle slab era, and there was a difference in one of the letters in "PCGS" in the back of the slab.

Do you think it's just a matter of time now before the chinese counterfeiters counterfeit PCGS slabs?

Are PCGS slabs next to be counterfeited? So far NGC and ANACS have.

Who says that they are next? Perhaps they are already being counterfeited and have been for a long time. Just because ANACS were reported first and then NGC does not mean PCGS haven't been counterfeited. It just means that we haven't seen them reported here yet.

I suspect that the same people who are making the ANACS & NGC ones already have PCGS and ICG ones on the market. Why just pick ANACS & NGC? If you're a fraud, you'll counterfeit all slabs that make you money.

It was done before and it will be done again. Why wouldn't they get targeted? For all we know, it's already happened and it hasn't been discovered.

I made a PCGS slab just this past weekend.

slabII.jpg

Crude at best Winston, needs refinement.

hm

That’s the best I could do on short notice. I’ll have to work on my technique.

All joking aside, I do seem to recall a thread about a year ago regarding switching coins in the old 1st generation rattlers. I never saw an example, I just recall reading something about it.

If you mean, "Are the shells for the genuine slabs being produced in China?" I have to admit I do not know. It would not surprise me if it was true but I have no way to find out. I doubt if the TPG's would be very forthcoming with the source of their shells. I do know that for awhile the PCGS holograms were made in Ft Wayne, but only because we ran across the rejects in the printers trash. But that was back in the 1990 era.