• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS and NGC

38 posts in this topic

OK first of all I hope in this forum I'm allowed to compare grading services with NGC, because I don't want to be banned for posting this thread. (PCGS forums have a policy where you can't compare PCGS slabs with others, or something like that)

Most of my coins are in PCGS slabs. I like both NGC and PCGS slabs, but I like PCGS more for a few reasons. First I like the clear plastic rather than NGC's white plastic, I think it makes the luster and coin easier to see. (I have a NGC MS64 saint which was orginally in a PCGS MS63 slab and I could seem to take much better photos of the coin in the PCGS slab.)

I'm not trying to bash NGC, I have coins in both slabs, and I think they both are good. In fact I was going to send one of my gold coins to NGC since I have direct submission privliges (and I don't with PCGS) but I have a coin friend who is a dealer and can submit it to PCGS. That brings me to my question,

Which slabs do you prefer more, NGC, or PCGS, and why? Also if like ANACS more or SEGS etc (any grading service) post which one and why.

I prefer PCGS slabs because I was told that they bring in more money. Luckily for me not many PCGS slabs have been counterfeited....yet. (except for the rattlers), on contrast ANACS and NGC slabs seem to have been counterfeited.

So is it REALLY true that PCGS slabs with coins in them generally bring in more money than NGC. Possibly because they are more strict with their grading standards?

I put the grading companies like this.

Top tier: PCGS, NGC, ANACS

Second Tier: ICG

Third Tier: All others, SEGS, Star Grading service, etc.

I'd like your opinions on this!

Thanks!

I like both for big coins. Since my ownership of small coins is rather limited, I can only assume that PCGS has better holders there, but both are pretty close when it comes to grading. I do rather like the big coins in the NGC slabs though, but that is just me...

Which slabs do you prefer more, NGC, or PCGS, and why? Also if like ANACS more or SEGS etc (any grading service) post which one and why.

All have their pluses and minuses. PCGS has clearer plastic. However, they scratch way too easily. They are also way more prone to cracking. NGC slabs seem to be able to take more of a beating. I do wish they were slimmer. I do not like the new ANACS slabs at all. ICG are so-so.

So is it REALLY true that PCGS slabs with coins in them generally bring in more money than NGC. Possibly because they are more strict with their grading standards?

Yes & no. Overall, don't believe it.

Move ANACS to 2nd tier. 3rd tier could be SEGS and PCI. Star Grading Service does not belong in the same league as SEGS. They are a bottom feeder company.

I agree that the PCGS slab looks better. Although I think much could be done to make an even more appealing plastic casing for a coin.

It's hard to say who is on top, PCGS or NGC when it comes to grading. I just try to do my due diligence and grade them myself. I've heard of the PCGS bias in selling but I don't know how true that is now.

Move ANACS to 2nd tier. 3rd tier could be SEGS and PCI. Star Grading Service does not belong in the same league as SEGS. They are a bottom feeder company.

Yeah, that's how I'd line em up. (thumbs u

As to pricing regarding the only two that count, seems to me that in modern U.S. coinage both proof and business strikes that

PCGS slabs sell for more than the same grade NGC slab most often when it concerns low “top pop” numbers that slab collectors covet so much. People are willing to pay crazy money when it comes to having the “finest graded”.

For today anyways :insane:

If you’re looking for modern proofs that are slabbed with high numbers and want to save money going about it; buy NGC slabbed coins, look the same, cost less.

Although for most of the coins I’ve purchased for my type it didn’t matter if it’s NGC or PCGS, virtually interchangeable.

One coin though, my type sets 1937 Buffalo Nickel is in a NGC PF67 holder, during the year I looked for it I didn’t see any PF67s in PCGS holders that looked any better, but the nice ones I liked that looked good always were at least a couple hundreds more. Although this was a couple of years ago I experienced this aspect of the rare coin market and don’t know how proof Buffalos are doing today, I got mine and not looking to sell.

NGC Slabs have a more professional look. Sometimes PCGS will say S$1 and sometimes just $1 for the same year and type of coin. Either make it one or the other. Seems a bit retarded to me. As far as looking up the coins value and serial number... PCGS has a public database, as NGC is for members only. NGC should open a serial database for the public also. But, that's just me.

As far as looking up the coins value and serial number... PCGS has a public database, as NGC is for members only. NGC should open a serial database for the public also. But, that's just me.
The flip side is that NGC has a public census report but the PCGS one is for members only. It would be nice if PCGS opened that up for the public as well.

Slabs are big and UG-LEE, I resent having to rent warehouse space to have a collection of nice pennies. I don't see the big difference in slabs, to me that's a coke or pepsi kind of discussion. If someone knows of a tangible difference, like materials used or sealing methods, I'd be interested in hearing that.

Give me a sealed, clear, hard, just-fit-around the coin holder with with an RFID in it, everything else is marketing and too easy to fake. If you need your logo on it, put it the sealed coin on a piece of cardboard, that I don't have to keep.

I'll go back to drinking my coffee, now. Happy tuesday...

I tried to sell a proof shield nickel in an NGC slab over on the "other forum" once and the resident troll (aka Russ) accused me of laying another coin on top of the slab because of the shadow the insert created.

I prefer PCGS slabs, especially for small coins.

I prefer NGC slabs. I will only buy Franklins graded FBL by NGC. PCGS gives out the FBL designation like candy. I recently performed an experiment. I submitted 5 PCGS FBLs to NGC and 5 NGC non-FBLs to PCGS. None of the PCGSs came back FBL from NGC. All of the NGCs came back FBL from PCGS.

First I like the clear plastic rather than NGC's white plastic, I think it makes the luster and coin easier to see.

I'd agree but not because it's clear but because I can put something dark behind it when I take photos. That's why I don't like NGC holders...it's too hard to take pictures of the coins due to the white background.

I've bought a few coins in ANACS holders (the old ones since I haven't bought any recently) but for the most part I have NGC and PCGS coins (most are PCGS). Why? I don't know. I think it's because of my gold. My Buffs and SLQ's are a bit of both services but the gold is almost all PCGS. I think what happens, as you pointed out, PCGS brings more money. So the PQ coins end up in PCGS holders. At least they do in gold. Especially $5 Indians...however most of my gold is $10. I don't know but I find the coins I like graded at PCGS..in gold anyway.

I prefer PCGS slabs because I was told that they bring in more money.

At this point I don't care much. I almost never send coins into the services because I'm not really selling. When I do I usually just stick with whatever holder it's in since I hate wasting money on slab fees. Recently, I cracked a couple of coins out that I thought were upgrades and both came back (from the same service) as BB's. Nice! Nothing like consistency. :frustrated:

As to PCGS being more conservative: Bah! It would be best to be more CONSISTANT than it would be to be conservative.

jom

I would not place ANACS in the same league with PCGS and NGC. That goes for the old and new ANACS. The old ANACS had a lot of over graded coins in their holders in the Mint State ranks. ANACS also had some under graded gold coins. They went though a period where cracking their gold coins and sending to the big two was a money maker. Their grading on circulated material was often on a par with the big two.

I think the new ANACS slab looks really cheesy. The plastic is flimsy, and I hate that rounded bottom. That alone is enough to discourage me from buying coins in their holders. I wrote an email to them about that, but they did not bother to replay. hm

The PCGS slab as some advantages, but I'm not a big fan of the convex windows. I have more trouble taking pictures of coins in their slabs because the glare from the windows. I also find their slab is more prone to getting scratched.

Small coins do look better in PCGS slabs. Small coins, like half dimes, silver three cent pieces and gold dollars tend to seem "lost" in the NGC slab.

If I wanted a coin in a slab, I would choose PCGS than follow by NGC and nothingelse.

If I was buying a coin in a slab with all coins being equal, I would buy NGC first, because I know I can pick one up a little cheaper.

With the other slabs i'm looking for large discount before considering them. Yes! Slab does make a difference to me, because i'm just not a good grader yet.

John :)

Maybe I misunderstood the question. I meant to say that I prefer to buy coin in NGC slabs, but as far as the mechanics of a slab are concerned, SEGS has had THE BEST slab on the market for years, and it's amazing that none of the other companies have even come close (though ANACS has tried with their current slab). The second best slabs are still the older, smaller ANACS capsules.

But again, as far as companies are concerned, I'll continue to buy most of my certified coins in NGC holders.

SEGS has had THE BEST slab on the market for years,

Agreed - virtually impossible to crack out, easy to read from the top.

I don't like the verbage on the holders though - I usually disagree with the adjective choices.

The PCGS slab as some advantages, but I'm not a big fan of the convex windows. I have more trouble taking pictures of coins in their slabs because the glare from the windows. I also find their slab is more prone to getting scratched.

Small coins do look better in PCGS slabs. Small coins, like half dimes, silver three cent pieces and gold dollars tend to seem "lost" in the NGC slab.

Bill, is it true that their windows are convex? Is this why coins in PCGS holders appear larger?

>That's why I don't like NGC holders...it's too hard to take pictures of the coins due to the white background.

The way to get around that is use manual mode and spot meter the coin. Then when you set the tone exposure you'll get a great shot. What you'll find is that the slab will blow out in the highlights but the coin be exposed very cleanly. Another way to do similar, but not as good, is to switch to center weighted exposure and maybe dial in some + exposure compensation,

NGC Slabs have a more professional look. Sometimes PCGS will say S$1 and sometimes just $1 for the same year and type of coin. Either make it one or the other. Seems a bit retarded to me. As far as looking up the coins value and serial number... PCGS has a public database, as NGC is for members only. NGC should open a serial database for the public also. But, that's just me.

Actually, there is a good reason for it. They put the S there when there are different materials used to make the same denomination. For example, if there is a dollar minted in gold and silver in the same year, PCGS will put the S there for the silver dollar and G for the gold. They leave it off when only one metal is used for the denomination.

If you want "Monster Toned" coins (easily detected artificial toning) in a slab, PCGS all the way. NGC is tough on artificial toning. There's a guy on Ebay who sells Silver Eagles in almost any color you want, all in PCGS slabs.

Hell, I was always wondering what that whole "S" thing was all about!!!
I did, too, but I asked some years ago and that's what PCGS told me. :)