• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbed World Gold - Super Deal vs U.S.

Slabbed World Gold  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Slabbed World Gold

28 posts in this topic

I like buying slabbed world gold coins - classic GB Sovereigns, French Roosters, Denmark Kroners, French Angels etc. in certified high grade - MS 64 and higher. In my view Krause Catalog Value is for average uncirculated MS 60 - 62. How should certified examples in MS 63 and higher be valued?

I like buying slabbed world gold coins - classic GB Sovereigns, French Roosters, Denmark Kroners, French Angels etc. in certified high grade - MS 64 and higher. In my view Krause Catalog Value is for average uncirculated MS 60 - 62. How should certified examples in MS 63 and higher be valued?
By what people will pay for them?

For higher grades I look through Heritage Auction records, search the internet for current dealer prices, and any publications I can find that may have recent published values. The bullion value is also always taken into consideration. Many times I have found that a higher grade foreign gold coin will be priced in the market place at Bullion plus a certain percentage.

Rey

For higher grades I look through Heritage Auction records, search the internet for current dealer prices, and any publications I can find that may have recent published values. The bullion value is also always taken into consideration. Many times I have found that a higher grade foreign gold coin will be priced in the market place at Bullion plus a certain percentage.

Rey

Good strategy - if you can get them close to melt that is a sweet deal. These coins in high grade are worth much more than bullion in my view and have been overlooked by many in mainstream USA Numismatics.

There's an awful lot of those gold coins out there in commercial UNC grades. I think gems are worth a premium but not so much for lower uncs.

Keep in mind that many of these coins were available by the mint BAG. They trade very close to bullion value since there are way more of these coins than collectors of them.

Gems of some of the mentioned coins may be scarcer, but others are still common in gem.

Good points JamminJ and Greg.

The thing about world gold is that for some of them, there are just very high quantities. If you buy them as bullion be aware that you may have a harder time getting spot for them. If you buy condition rarities, be aware that the demand may be small with many uncs selling at bullion prices.

If I wanted to get into this area to enjoy the designs I'd probably go for nice MS versions around spot. Otherwise I'd focus on coins that are more absolute rarities instead of condition rarities.

I voted "Would never buy it." Not because it isn't US--I suspect that for investment purposes the world market would be the way to go. I haven't ever (and don't plan on ever starting) bought any gold. I don't own any gold jewelry, either. The looks of the metal do absolutely nothing for me.

I had some nice Vatican pieces - a 100 Lira 1933 -34 issue is one I remember. These were super coins that ANACS graded MS 64. They moved slowly over the course of several shows but always brougnt traffic to my cases. One guy bought a couple at a Florida show as he was working to complete a set of this series.

The older Papal States issues are even rarer and tough to locate in high grade.

Many world gold coins are real coins - they have numismatic value too. These coins can be a pleasant alternative to many U.S. issues that have become too expensive, too over promoted, and way over the budget of most collectors.

I've never purchased slabbed world gold coins, but some of the designs are fantastic and for the relatively low entry point that they allow this would make for a truly attractive type set.

I do not much world gold but like many coins from the type of countries you list, it is a relative bargain vs. US coins. And this applies to silver and base metals also.

Yes I like world gold coins, especially the older types as these can be found in nice unc for what you would pay for circulated U.S. Gold.

44075-Italy_1882_20L_NGC64-obv.jpg.0b5e1519f6bc46cff05414ecebc852a8.jpg

44076-Italy_1882_20L_NGC64-rev.jpg.bae8a28eb6a46d7789e1410b4cefe37a.jpg

Yes I like world gold coins, especially the older types as these can be found in nice unc for what you would pay for circulated U.S. Gold.

44075-Italy_1882_20L_NGC64-obv.jpg

I tend to prefer allegorical world coins because I feel a need to know about the people on the coins I collect and historical, foreign royalty isn't a particular area of interest of mine. That being said, I do find it interesting when there's a reason to read about a person here and there. I didn't know anything about Uberto I of Italy but I do now thanks to Wikipedia. It is interesting that he fought in the Italian wars of independence, married his first cousin and was assassinated. He also reaffirmed the Vatican's "untouchable" status in Italy to ensure permanent possession of the Eternal City. Interesting person. Thanks for posting :)

44075-Italy_1882_20L_NGC64-obv.jpg

I tend to prefer allegorical world coins because I feel a need to know about the people on the coins I collect and historical, foreign royalty isn't a particular area of interest of mine. That being said, I do find it interesting when there's a reason to read about a person here and there. I didn't know anything about Uberto I of Italy but I do now thanks to Wikipedia. It is interesting that he fought in the Italian wars of independence, married his first cousin and was assassinated. He also reaffirmed the Vatican's "untouchable" status in Italy to ensure permanent possession of the Eternal City. Interesting person. Thanks for posting :)

Excellent obversvation and I appreciate the background info. Certainly a coin with an interesting history. Thank you for your contribution.

I had some nice Vatican pieces - a 100 Lira 1933 -34 issue is one I remember. These were super coins that ANACS graded MS 64. They moved slowly over the course of several shows but always brougnt traffic to my cases. One guy bought a couple at a Florida show as he was working to complete a set of this series.

Many world gold coins are real coins - they have numismatic value too. These coins can be a pleasant alternative to many U.S. issues that have become too expensive, too over promoted, and way over the budget of most collectors.

The results of the poll were interesting but not unexpected by me. As Parker stated in the paragraph above beginning with "Many", I do believe there are more oppotunities with World Gold as compared to US old, but it is all dependent on denomination, age - is it modern, historical, etc.

Rey

Purchased both these pieces for about $18.00ea. over melt (all fees included and a little closer now that gold is up). I think it's an interesting way to collect a little gold.1500+ of the Swiss have been graded by NGC only 26 MS67's and most raw sell for about $10 over after shipping. Worth an extra 8 bucks to me. The Denmark piece although common usually sells for the price I got in the PCGS holder as raw coins.

57334531a.jpg

181520Kobv.jpg

I just finished updating the values of the Mexican Gold coins that I have. The current market value ranges anywhere from Bullion + 7% to Bullion +20% on mostly normal, not so rare pieces.

Rey

I would love to go to the Ny Intl show and buy some nice world gold coins. Your strategy mr earlygold sounds solid.

Hey Parker, only negative might be that many of the dealers will be from overseas ( I'm guessing) and with the dollar being what it is, might be tough to buy .

I have a couple of those HK pieces you have as an avitar by the way. I'm lookinig for more.