• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insert Suggestions (World Coins)

4 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure if I should post this here as it relates to NGC procedures or in the world forum for Ken to see.

On a submission I just received back there were a few things about the inserts that I thought could be done better/differently.

Here are the inserts:

ngc_foreign_coin_inserts.jpg

On the top insert the country name is abbreviated. Sure Czechoslovakia is a long name to put on an insert, but to me it just looks like you stopped typing, especially since there is still room on that line. It's even a little puzzling since on the bottom insert the print practically runs off the edge and the country name is spelled out (incorrectly, I might add 893whatthe.gif - never seen that one before 27_laughing.gif).

The top line is rather crowded. Would it be possible to drop the country and KM number down to the second line and have the inserts lines as follows:

1) Date and denomination.

2) Country and KM #.

3) Grade

4) Certificate number.

5) Bar code.

Also, for sake of uniformity it would be nice if KM numbers were put on all foreign coins. I know the use of KM numbers was discussed before, but it would be nice if they were on all slabs. It sure helps looking them up.

Just some suggestions....

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Guatemala coin is simply a spelling error on our part. You may submit this for a correction at no charge as a "mechanical error."

The Czechoslovakia coin is another issue. The field in which the country name is entered has just 10 characters, so we have to abbreviate the longer names. It has nothing to do with the overall length of the printed line.

Just recently a decision has been made to put the KM numbers, when needed, on the second line to provide more space above. We use the KM numbers only in cases where some confusion may exist as to which coin is being described. An example would be when the same denomination is coined with different designs, varieties or compositions in a single year. We don't plan to use them for each and every world coin.

I just received some world submissions back with the KM # on the second line. I like it. It makes the first line look so much less cluttered and it is all easier to read.

One change that I now see is the date and mintmark are run together, i.e. 1916BC. For US coins there is a space between the date and the mint mark, i.e. 1916 BC. Is this a glitch or is it going to be like this for all world coins from now on?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For world coins NGC has always shown the date and mintmark together, without a space. There are no plans to change this at the present time.