• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please give opinions and a grade on this Morgan 1890

12 posts in this topic

By the pictures this is a fairly ordinary 1890 Morgan Dollar with some brown-goldish tarnish. This is not the kind of color that gets the toning freaks blood going.

The 1890 Morgan dollars were not well made. Their luster was only so-so, and the strikes were a bit below average when compared to other P-mint years. If you look at the pop reports, the grades on this issue are surprisingly low given the fact that this is a common date.

It's hard to say if the bright spots on the eagle's breastfeathers are wear or strike. I guess I'd give the an MS-63. It's not bad, but it's not a big winner either. Overall lack of eye appeal would have me grading it any higher.

AU 63 (:

I know what you mean, Mike, but some of these coins did not get sqeezed enough on the high points, which can account for the brightness on the breatfeathers. You really need to see in person to decide.

AU 63 (:

I know what you mean, Mike, but some of these coins did not get sqeezed enough on the high points, which can account for the brightness on the breatfeathers. You really need to see in person to decide.

I'd go ago with that. (thumbs u

Especially the need to see part, with that toning she’s a tough one. hm

Under the toning this coin appears mint state to me, cheek looks clear of any wear in the photo anyways.

If you are looking for an “original” coin this one is that, nobody’s been cleaning this Morgan, (maybe not storing it to well), that’s a pretty thick skin on those surfaces.

Specifically what makes this AU not EF? How do you tell this is a weaker strike versus light wear?

I'll start with my amateur observations. I'd call it wear on the obverse, as that looks like the size/shape of a thumbprint on liberty's cheek. The reverse doesn't look wear, but doesn't seem full either.

Looking at the stars and letters, aren't they fully struck?

I feel this is a very nice example, MM. Keeper! MS64 VAM 11 IMHO. Under magnification you may find die clashes on the reverse, can't tell for sure from these pics. Still a nice coin.