• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Through what various "avenues" do you purchase coins?

9 posts in this topic

I used to buy a lot of mine on ebay until a couple of years ago when the quality and clientelle really started to decline.

Now I try and pick stuff up from members on here and across the street. I have found these purchases to be some of my best.

I also stick with more well known dealers/companies now. Just too much garbage floating around out there and too many shady characters..

I VERY rarely buy coins on ebay anymore at all even though I do regularly peruse the FE section. I also check out the well known dealers listings on ebay too such as Iras4,etc....

I try to make it to each Baltimore show but surprisingly I usually don't pick much up there. It's kind of overwhelming and I usually hesitate to purchase something early in the day and then later wish I would have.

I've been trying to buy a coin from Mark Feld for quite a while! Every time I find one on his site that I think I want, it is already gone! makepoint.gif

Thanks to eBay, I've added more varieties to my Peruvian Sol set in the last year than the previous five combined. I still prefer buying my US coins raw from "grey beards" at smaller shows or shops. Many of them don't have ANY slabs, and that's just fine with me. Some of those I put in my Whitman albums, others I slab and resell. I seldom buy a slab, unless it's dirt cheap or a variety I've wanted for a while. "Condition rarities" don't float my boat, so haven't bought from the guys on the boards; they seem to prefer registry participants for customers.

I had to stop and think for a few minutes, but my latest come from the following:

4 different local coin shops

fellow forum members

national dealer

individual

local coin show

a few mint products on ebay

US mint

For my main collection most coin from dealers at the major shows or major auction houses. A couple of purchases have been from eBay or from dealer web sites.

My side collections are usually thanks to local dealers and smaller shows.

Local coin shop in my home town (The Coin Purse), sometimes from a shop in a city I visit if I get the chance, the Mint, a couple of online stores (seldomly), Ebay (Once for a nice VF 21 Peace), and shows I get the chance to go to (i.e. Baltimore this past summer).

2 to 4 years ago most of my purchases were from eBay. I'd receive a dozen or so coins a month. Now I probably purchase a dozen in 6 months on eBay. There just isn't as much quality stuff anymore. Living in Denver has it's advantages, however it isn't a great coin town. There are a few large reputable dealers and a few decent-sized coin shows but thats about it. I purchase most of my better coins from dealers that I have met at shows and from a few trusted large national dealers. I personally like Ellesmere. They have always treated me the way that I would like to be treated even though I've only spent about $2000 with them. I used to purchase coins from Whitlow, but it's obvious he's in bed with DH. Anyway, as finding what I consider quality coins is becoming more difficult I search most of the avenues available. I'm leaning more and more towards people that I have dealt with in the past and have enjoyed the experience and gambling less.

I've gone to local and regional coin shows, like Baltimore, for years to make my coin purchases. You get the see the material before hand, and there is room for negociation if that is necessary. You also get to know the dealer too, and get to know who is honest and reliable and who is just a waste of time.

Live auctions can be OK, but they can be a pain in the butt too. They work best for a dealer is prepared to purchase MANY different items if some things are selling for too much money. Collectors who have a narrower focus can get hurt by overpaying or spending a lot time and end up with nothing. At auction shills devil.gif and crazy bidders insane.gif can really ruin your day.

My advice when you go to a show is have a list of as many things as possible that you would like to buy. That way there is a better chance that you will spot a really good buy (great look and grade, fair price) rather than settle on the best that you could find from a narrow list.

Recently, my best coins have come from online dealers, board members, eBay, and my local dealer. I've never bough anything that I really liked at a show. A dealer once told me that the grade and price range of coins I was looking for can be sold at full retail in storefronts so there's no reason to bring them to shows. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

BC

As far as board purchases go I buy the older circulated stuff for my son and some of it for me.

I picked up a nice low grade 21 peace the other nite and was happy!

reminds me, I need to get to my local dealer's place sometime soon. I like to stop in a few times a year and spend a few bucks with him.