• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting a new set - Franklin Halves - care to grade one?

7 posts in this topic

I've decided to start a date set of Franklin halves. I'm aiming for them to all be somewhere in the mid MS range, brilliant, with FBL where it's affordable. I'm doing the set on the cheap, mainly to have something I can add to occasionally when the more expensive coins I'm looking for (like my britannias) aren't around.

What do you think of this coin (grade, appearance, appeal, value for the cost)? I picked it up for $14 - is it a good start?

43216-1958d.jpg.13bca7f715f6882c4cc940648c8ecd54.jpg

I think, by images, that it could be MS64 FBL. I say FBL only if the shadows are covering the lines and are not faded out. And I say the 64 only if that is not a gouge above the crack on the bell. It looks to have plenty of luster and for $14 I think you did great. (thumbs u

I'm sure Sy, somewhat of a Franklin expert (particularly with '58's), could give a much better assessment than I did.

The area under the L in LIBERTY and behind the upper part of Ben's head is a concern. Can't tell from the image if that is cleaning or die polish lines. I also see parallel lines going NE-SW going through the date, so it may be cleaned. Assuming die polish lines then MS64... on a good day you might get 65. FBL at PCGS, probably FBL at NGC. Assuming die polish lines then for $14 you did very well. If cleaned then you are talking silver melt value for the coin.

That is a pretty strong contact mark beside the bell crack, though I think the lighting makes it look worse than it is. This is indeed a FBL coin.

EDIT: regarding those lines - I saw them too. They appear under 10X magnification to be slightly higher than the surface of the coin. It's hard to tell, but I believe them to be die polish lines.

I am fairly certain that those lines are die polish, they just don't look like cleaning lines to me. Franklins often come with very heavy die polish lines. I would grade this one a definite 64, you might have a chance at 65 if the fields are pretty clean. I would have to see it in hand to make a judgement about FBL, but I think Sy is right. Not bad for $14 (and welcome to the world of Franklins!)

I am actually working on getting all the books on Franklins right now, kind of a side addition to the actual set. I just bought Ehrmentraut's "An Analysis of Gem Franklin Half Dollars," written back in the 80's. It is rather outdated, but an interesting study. I would strongly recommend that you purchase Tomaska's book if you are interested in Franklins. These other books are not necessary, just interesting to me.