• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here NOT own at least ONE example of their Favorite Coin?

14 posts in this topic

I love Gobrechts! The design and heft of the coin makes it my favorite. (EVP's Avatar over on the PCGS side drives me crazy!)

I almost bought the GD06 PCGS example that ocassionally enters the market but the $5,000.00+ pricetag prevents it.

Does anyone here also have a top spot number one Favorite Coin yet does NOT own an example of it?

I remember when you posted a pic of that Gobrecht. I thought it was more aesthetically appealing than some of the AU ones I saw pics of. I suppose the difficulty for me here is to identify what my favorite coin is. Since I cannot, I can say that one coin I would love to own but never seem to target to buy is a bust dollar. In my mad dash to prioritize and structure my collection, I'm focusing on other things. But some day I will break down and buy one.

The one I've always coveted but never purchased is an early ½ Eagle. B & M had a gorgeous 1803/2 with original sunburst toning some time ago that was a beautiful AU-58 slider for reasonable money. I love the design, but haven't gotten to a type set yet. Someday.

I almost bought the GD06 PCGS example that ocassionally enters the market but the $5,000.00+ pricetag prevents it.

Ouch! Mine is a high-end EF45, and didn't cost me *that* much more. And, it's totally problem-free. Not a sign of mishandling.

EVP

Gotta agree... I'd love to have at least one of the half eagle and eagle Liberty Cap gold pieces. It's one of my favorite gold designs (after the St Gaudens double eagle) that I currently do not own.

The 1793 Chain cent is my favorite design and I don't own one of them. They are just so hard to find with nice clean smooth planchets and good details. Even many of the AU examples are dinged or ugly in some ways. The cost has prevented me from aggressively going after a nice example when they come to market.

The St. Gaudens is also high on my list. I'm extremely picky on this coin and even some of the MS67s I haven't liked. I'm looking for a nice MS66 with no major hits on Liberty, the eagle, or the sun and some nice color.

I've reached the point where there are no favorite coins that I don't own. If I have admired something, the reason I don't own it is that I can't afford it.

I guess if I were to pick one coin it would be an early $5 or $10 gold piece with the small eagle reverse. The small gold coin eagle is the one major design that I don't have in the U.S. series that I would really like.

Unfortunately I won't buy gold coins in any less than MY EF-40 condition, which given the way the services are grading coins these days would be an AU-53 or 55 coin. Right now that's a $25 to $30 grand item at least.

I''ve got the Chain Cent, the High Relief $20 gold and the Gobrecht Dollar. All of them were stuff I lusted after, and over 30 years as a series collector I've been able to get them.

So far as the "normal" low relief St. Gaudens goes, gmargili, why be so picky? I've got an NGC in an MS-63 holder that should have been in at least an MS-64 holder. I like it better than most of the St Gaudens pieces I seen in MS-65 holders. In MS-67 that coin could cost you $7 grand. I can't see spending that much for common coin. I'd sooner put that money into a something a lot rarer or at scarcer.

The grading services don't spend much time agonizing over the grades for common date St. Gaudens gold pieces. That's why you can find some real "gems in the rough" if you are willing to sort though them. cool.gif

If I had the finances I'd own a LOT of 18th century coins. Something magical about them for me. A couple of years ago I found a sweet-for-the-grade 1794 cent that I purchased from Win Carner. This is one of the few early coppers that I have found with a totally clean planchet. It's a VF20 and when I saw it and knew I could afford it....had to have it. I'd love a 1793 Chain as well but I can't see spending the money (if I could afford it) for a lousy example.