• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back in the day...1919

5 posts in this topic

I know the lighting blows; it's all I have in the way of pics; but what do you think? It's not mine...but surely am thinking about it being that way.

th_915d6826.jpg

th_318c3978.jpg

I do notice on the reverse: a ding at the 11:00 o'clock; what looks to be a slight rub mark on the 'TED-STA'; the 'E PLURIB' looks weak; and the bottom loop in the S in 'CENTS' looks weak.. On the front: a contact mark under 'Liberty"; the fist 19 in "1919" looks rubbed; and surprisingly, you can make out part of the reverse 'CENTS' clash to the right of the (forgive me, I do not know the title) Indians lip and chin. It looks clean to me...but I refer my judgement to you.

Enlighten me with your words of wisdom please.

Vielen danke...

It is difficult to tell about a coin from these pictures, but it has the appearance of being dipped to me. The color seems off but it could be the picture, my monitor or my tired eyes.

Die clashes are very cool. Use discretion and hopefully others will provide better information.

Hard to tell by the pics. It's a nice looking Buff from a distance but looks to have been dipped. Can't tell if any other method of cleaning has been done by these pics tho'.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Also I heard that the mound on the coin wears off pretty fast in circulation.

The image is small enough and I don't know Buffs well enough that I'm passing on saying thumbs up or down on it. However, with regards to the above, the mound was on 1913 Type 1 Buffs. Due to its rapid wearing it got changed to flat ground, the so-called Type 2 Buffs. All Buffs after 1913 (and some during 1913) were Type 2 Buffs.