• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Winter a bad time for auctions?

8 posts in this topic

Scott Travers says in his books that spring and fall are the best times for putting your coins up for auction and that the best prices aren't achieved in the Winter or the Summer.

(He also thought the MS64 Sesquicentennial was a good coin to buy)

What do you think?

The FUN show is held during the 1st week of Jan. That is winter time, but you wouldn't know it 'cuz it's held in Orlando. That's a great show, bourse and auction.

The Feb LB show is probably good, but I really couldn't say because I've never been to the Feb one yet. In any rate, I think the pre-show auctions and the HNAI auction usually do quite well. BTW, is Feb still winter?

The ANA Mid-Winter (early March) show tends to have lousy results, but I think that may just be for attendance and not for the auctions. (Not sure.) In any case, the past few of them have been in really awkward locations.

I think the late-Mar Baltimore show is a bit outside the winter timeframe...

EVP

(He also thought the MS64 Sesquicentennial was a good coin to buy)

No way. You can find super ugly MS65s and nice MS64s. However, many MS64s are just dark toned lifeless uglies.

I bet if you had 10 MS64s and 10 MS65s and you covered the grades, I bet the majority of commem collectors and dealers couldn't tell the MS64s from MS65s. It's just a hard to grade coin and the way they were sturck makes mark free ones still look ugly.

Buy an MS63 for around $100 if you want one.

? That's tough to say. I guess after school starts the initial price shock is over so you may have some money to spend. Winter and Summer are the Christmas and vacation months and most spendable income heads in that direction. Overall, I would say he is correct in that respect. I don't believe that is the case with special or rare coinage because the buyers aren't in search of an extra dollar to buy the coin.

In general from previous experience:

Good bullish years

FUN(best)---->LBspring(great)---->Central States(good)---->ANA(good)---->LBsummer(good)----->ANAsummer(great)------>LBfall(good)----->Baltimore(good)

Slow bearish years:

FUN(good)----->LBspring(fair)----->CS(fair)------>ANA(fair)------->LBsummer(poor)---->ANAsummer(OK)------->LBfall(poor)------> Baltimore(fair)

Sometimes the beginning auctions(shows) of a calender year will determine the course of the rest of the year. A poor beginining may mean several poor shows. Usually by Central States, if the market isn't enthusiastic, it will be a poor year.

TRUTH news.gif

• Administrator

This one was kind of borderline one whether it was a coin or a coin tangent post. Clearly it's an interesting post either way, but what do you guys think?