• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think..should I submit this coin to NGC?

18 posts in this topic

I recently bought a 1900 old head uncirculated gold sovereign from dooly. It cost me $170. A member on the forum told me that if I ever plan to sell it, I should get it certified. Also, I want to know if these are heavily counterfeited if so then that would be a good decision to get it certified. I don't know much about british coins.

Here are some pictures of it.

Is this considered a bullion coin? If so I would be better off not certifiing it. Perhaps dooly or someone who specializes in these coins could give me some advice on whether I should certify it or not. I believe its around $40 for a 10 day turn around time. Also, I have direct submission privliges since I joined the collectors society. To send coins to NGC do I just need to fill out the online form, and print the forum out with the sent coin? I pretty much forgot how to even submit coins! So if someone could tell me how I'd greatly appreciate it!

1900goldsovereignobverse.jpg

1900goldsovereignreverse.jpg

1900o.jpg

19002.jpg

Is that a half sovereign or a full sovereign? If it's a full sovereign, that's a great price! I probably wouldn't have this graded unless I was uncertain as to the authenticity (which you might be!).

Is that a half sovereign or a full sovereign? If it's a full sovereign, that's a great price! I probably wouldn't have this graded unless I was uncertain as to the authenticity (which you might be!).

Yup, looks fake to me…

With spot gold @ $666, your .2354 AGW sovereign melts for $156 today.

I wouldn't slab it - most would recognize and accept it for what it is - a BEAUTIFUL example of a very common coin that just happens to be made of gold.

Nice pickup and great price!

....should I submit this coin to NGC?
Absolutely not. It is a bullion coin and its "value" likely wouldn't be increased by the amount of the grading fee.

If you are not comfortable buying raw coins of this type then I would suggest that you stay away from these pieces simply because the costs associated with certification will represent an enormous percentage of the coin's value.

No, I would not bother to certify the coin. It IS a bullion type coin. It has a melt value of $156, and if you were to sell it today to a dealer you would probably get around $150. You paid $170 which is probably was a decent retail price. So if you sold it today you would lose $20. (Gold would have to go up about $80 an oz for you to break even.)

If you have it certified you will sink about another $20 - $30 into the coin so you would have close to $200 in it, And if you sold it to a dealer you would still only get about $150 so you would lose about $50. (Gold would have to go up $200 an oz for you to break even.)

If you sold it to a collector rather than a dealer you might get $10 - 20 more, so selling it raw right now you might break even, and after certifying a loss of $20 to $30. So you would still need an $80 to $120 increase in the price of gold to break even even selling it directly to a collector. (And if you do it on eBay you will lose most if not all of that extra that a collector would pay, in fees to eBay.)

The only exception would be if it certified as a MS-67 or better, but there is no way that coin will do that. Too many bag marks.

Yup, looks fake to me…

Why do you have to say things like this?

Yup, looks fake to me…

Why do you have to say things like this?

It’s my desensitization method. I think you’re a little too worried about fakes so I’m trying to desensitize you by bringing it up. Is it working?

Yup, looks fake to me…

O no its not !!!!

Find yourself a good coin shop in your area and have them help you. If you can't find one in your area, try dealing with someone you can trust on this forum with speciality in the area of gold coins. If that doesn't work, go out a buy lots of book on gold coins and it will save you money in the long run.

John :)

Go get 'em Wayne.

my handbag was almost out there lol

I have some Slabbed MS-65 Jeffison with more bag marks than that coin has

and people have to remember that these were "real" coins which were for spending and were issued in bags just like morgans but made out if a lot softer metal !!

I would grade it but i would use the world service with 4 more coins (5 coin limmit)

dooly