• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to get an airtite open?

9 posts in this topic

How do you get an airtite open without destroying it? What is the trick?

The way I do it: Very carefully insert an exacto knife blade broad sided into the crevice between the two halves then a gentle twist, should pop it open. Finish the separation process without use of the knife.

That generally works (and it is my approach). What do you guys do when the coin is stuck in the bottom half of the airtite? That's happened to me with a quarter and a britannia before.

Well let's see, 1) I bang it on the table a few times, trying to jar it loose onto something soft. when that doesn't work, 2) I get said exacto knife and try to loosen up the sides then repeate step 1. When that fails, I pay the extra buck and have NGC figure it out.

I find I don't have that problem if I use airtites with the WHITE rings.

There's an easy trick that is near foolproof and leaves the coin and airtite undamaged. It involves duck tape. Simply apply a small piece to each face and pull apart. The coin will drop out onto the soft surface which you of course already thought to have in place while you were playing with the coins ;) wink wink....

Then, calmly remove each half of the airtite from it's respective piece of tape, and ... voila. The coin is freed.

That generally works (and it is my approach). What do you guys do when the coin is stuck in the bottom half of the airtite? That's happened to me with a quarter and a britannia before.

There are two possibilities:

Hold the half of the capsule with the coin stuck in it face down over a well-padded area. The bed is the best place. Hold the capsule with the thumb and index finger of the left hand at about 7 o'clock and 11 o'clock. (It doesn't matter whether it is am or pm.) Place the index finger of the right hand on the edge of the capsule at 3 o'clock and hold it firmly in the 3-point grip. Press on the center of the capsule with the righthand thumb. The plastic should give enough to force the coin out of the capsule.

If that doesn't work:

Again, hold the half of the capsule with the coin stuck in it face down over a well-padded area such as the bed. This time, use both thumbs and index fingers to hold the capsule. The index fingers should be at 5 & 11 o'clock along the inner edge of the capsule; the thumbs should be at 1 & 7 o'clock along the outer edge of the capsule. Make sure you are holding the capsule firmly. Exert pressure upward with the index fingers and downward with the thumbs. This should cause the capsule to twist slightly and loosen the coin.

Chris

RyanExpress.jpg

That's a good idea James with the Duct Tape...far better than opening it with a 104 mph fast pitch. (The air tight dose open mid-flight, it's just hard to get a brave enough catcher for the coin)

I use a pen knife that has a very slim and narrow blade, but you do miss on occasion. I think the duct tape idea is way safer. I shall have to try it next time.

Check off another use for what the locals here call "100 mile per hour tape" They say loose headlights, tail lights, fenders, grills, etc. will not fall off going 100 mph.

Tested.