• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint Proof Set 1981

8 posts in this topic

I have a 1981 Proof set which I believe is a type 2. I will try to get photos of the coins on here. Can I send the whole proof set, still in the mints plastic to a third party grader to have them graded, or do I have to crack the plastic an pull them out? If I can send them in as is, do they grade them in one big plastic case or do they pull the coins out and certifiy them individually?

You may send the whole thing in and NGC will remove them for $1

You may have them certified and have them put in single holders OR in Their

Multiholder - its is yur choice

Hope this helps

You may send the whole thing in and NGC will remove them for $1

You may have them certified and have them put in single holders OR in Their

Multiholder - its is yur choice

Hope this helps

NGC no longer charges for removing coins from the Mint holders.

Chris

Proud welcome to the forum. Your first photo does appear to be the "clear S" type 1 from your photo. :hi:

coin3.jpg

edited: as per The Beav below. He is correct (thanks Beav). :hi:

The clarity of the mintmark is not the deciding factor with the 1981 type 2. The 1979 type 2 mintmark die was the same die that was used for the 1981 type 1's. So, until this die wore, the 1981 type one 's' was quite clear. The deciding factor is the upper swirl of the 'S'. On the type 2 is is quite bulbous.....This is the difference. You may want to look at this website.....

http://www.anacs.com/(A(94ESPGIYyAEkAAAANzVlNDFiYmQtYzlmOS00ODI1LTg0MTEtODc3MDhjMjEwNmU4lIspW2ICOGDUuJwfPMvx64Yzaow1)S(1oeggvqfp0nfwl55er3sivmb))/contentPages/ShowArticle.aspx?ID=22

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post a link.

PAul