• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 coin series to collect

4 posts in this topic

I am looking for the TOP 10 coins people collect. Maybe someone might have a website or something to point me to for research. They do not have to be US coins either, just the top collected coins. For example, I would think that the first 2 coins would be US Morgan Silver Dollars and US St. Gaudens. What do you think? Would British Sovereigns or Chinese Pandas be in there? Plus, where do you find this information at?

Well according to Coins Magazine, the Top10 Key coins that are always in demand.

#1 - 1909-S VDB, #2- 1912-s Liberty Head Nickel, #3- 1916-D Mercury Dime, #4- 1913-s barber Qtr., #5- 1916 SLQ, #6- 1932-D Washington QTR., #7- 1916-S WLH, #8- 1893-S Morgan Dollar, #9- 1928 Peace Dollar, and #10- 1911-D Indian Head Gold $2.50 piece.

Yes, registry sets are one indicaor. I would assume (since I pay little attention to them) that all of the top ten are US coins. For world coins, it depends what someone means as a series. Most or all of them are probably from the larger countries such as the UK, Canada, Germany, France and Japan. Within an individual country such as the UK, pricing on Victoria issues are strong while most QEII and George VI are weak. There are also some other series that must be popular because their prices reflect that. A few examples include some 19th century Greek coins, South Africa ZAR and Spanish colonial pillars (I collect both of these) and cobs, but mostly in high grade.