• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eSnipe

19 posts in this topic

I know there are folks on these boards that snipe, I believe they have mentioned it in previous post however I don’t do it.

I don’t think it’s sportsman like if there is such a thing in numismatics. But there are those who do anything to win.

Just my opinion.

Every time I hear the sniper word I recall buying frequently from an ebay seller until one day he sniped one I had been setting on all week. Funny thing, he was determined to have the top Registry Set and now he is no longer a participant. In a hurry to go no where. (shrug)

I used to use Bidnapper, but it was costing me too much money because it was so successful. I was winning about 90% of the auctions where I used Bidnapper. For anyone who thinks they can beat an automatic snipe by entering a bid with even five seconds left, think again. I have had counterbids placed for me with as little as one second remaining in an auction. Other bidders can't even refresh their screen with five seconds remaining.

It should be noted that an automatic snipe can lose if someone who has already placed a conventional bid has set a max bid that is equal to your snipe. Since they had already posted a bid, theirs would take priority. The snipe will also lose in this instance even if it is greater than the max bid but less than one "bidding increment", again, because the first bidder has priority. (Note: Minimum increments are supposed to be applied in this manner, but it doesn't always work. Ebay has never been very consistent in their application of this rule.)

This is why I preferred to enter odd amounts. For example, let's suppose that I think I can win an item for $250. At that level, the minimum increase is $2.50. So, to be on the safe side (hypothetically), I'd enter my max bid for the snipe at $267.83. Anyone placing a bid between $250 and $270.33 would lose, and they wouldn't have time to enter another bid.

Chris

I have been using Auction Sniper for two years. In that time, I am 82-7 on coins I chose to bid upon, and have spent a cumulative 25% under the total Maximum bids I've entered. Auction Sniper has never failed to place a bid for me on time.

Sniping ... one of the minor reasons why I seldom bother with Ebay.

I see your point but I don't think it's the sniping that's the problem. It's the way Ebay does their auctions is the problem. If they had it more like a real auction then sniping doesn't exist. The auction shouldn't have a set time to end...

That being said I snipe all of the time. One, so I don't have to be there when the auction ends and two, it keeps me from auction fever. I set my best price and let it go.

jom

.....It's the way Ebay does their auctions is the problem. If they had it more like a real auction then sniping doesn't exist. The auction shouldn't have a set time to end...

That being said I snipe all of the time. One, so I don't have to be there when the auction ends and two, it keeps me from auction fever. I set my best price and let it go.

jom

If Ebay goes to a "real auction" format, I quit sniping and adapt to the new format. I still have my maximum price, and I still bid that price. Just don't expect me to fail to take advantage of the way it is right now. :)

I use esnipe. I definitely can't be around when every auction ends. At least with Teletrade I know when all of the auctions end. ebay clock isn't live either and I get sick of refreshing to get a late bid in. I don't want to bid too early and have people raising up my bid. I should have a right to have a private way to bid and so that no one knows that I am interested in an auction.

I use auctionstealer

Works well and is free for limited use.

Of course, your snipes have to be high enough to win - I think I hit about 50% using snipes.

I think sniping *protects* me from myself, so I don't get caught up in the final seconds of an auction paying too much. Pick a number and stick to it.

Sniping ... one of the minor reasons why I seldom bother with Ebay.

I see your point but I don't think it's the sniping that's the problem. It's the way Ebay does their auctions is the problem. If they had it more like a real auction then sniping doesn't exist. The auction shouldn't have a set time to end...

jom

No the biggest trouble with Ebay is that the policing for crooked and unethical sellers is haphazard. Forget the over graded stuff, the generic pictures and the real and “convenient” ignorance of some sellers. It’s the never ending supply of counterfeits that gets me. That sort of thing is the kind of stuff that would ruin any normal auction house, but it has a chance to flourish on Ebay.

My main Ebay purchases have been of modern commemorative coins in the original mint packages. I bid on coins offered only by sellers who had a long track record with at most a couple of adverse comments. I figure that there are enough foolish buyers out there who are ready to give adverse feedback for unsubstantiated reasons. Therefore if you have had 1,000 transactions and have had two or three complaints, I’ll ignore the complaints.

Beyond that I really don’t care for auctions that much. The people who stand the best chance of making out at auctions are dealers because they are open to buying a wide variety of material. If one segment of the auction is going to too much money, there might be another area that gets neglected. As a dealer I found that was often the case.

As a collector, however, I usually went in looking for some very specific items. All it takes to one yahoo (no pun with the site intended) who is willing to place what amounts to an unlimited bid, and your auction is ruined. Another source of irritation is consigners who place ridiculous reserves on their material. You have spent time and money traveling to the auction site to view the lots, and you have nothing to show for it.

I’ll take dealing with someone at bourse over that any time. Look me in the eye; give me a price; and if I like the item and the price, I’ll write a check. DONE! Nice and clean. I don't care if I pay a little more because I've avoided fruitless trips with poor results.

I am oh for 10 with a snipe program. Now I just bid what I want to pay and if I lose so be it :(