• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some ideas to help educate the public

10 posts in this topic

Hi all

Well let me first start out by saying that i love the hobby write as much about it as i can and give as many talks as i can. see thats all well and good for the crowad of numismatists but how do i get to the general public? i travel with my mentor to museums in Colorado and we conduct an "Antiques Roadshow" type of event with all procedes going to the museum. i handel the coins while he does jewlery. and when i sit there after i finish an appraisal wondering did they hear anything besides value? and will they want to learn more? do they even care? i always give them my card and tell them to contact me if they have any further questions or want to sell, etc. but does anyone have any suggestions on how maybe i can get to the general public?

Thanks! :)

Russ, while your attempts to educate the public are very commendable, you must remember two things:

1) You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

2) If someone....anyone......becomes truly interested in numismatics, they will seek you out.

Just keep doing what you're doing. Don't try to help the whole world, but concentrate on the one or two who show an interest.

Good luck!

Chris

I also agree with the others, there isn't much you can do unless they want to help themselves first. Keep up the good work!!! (thumbs u

One thing you might consider is buying some Red Books and selling them to people who appear to be interested. Sure, you can refer them to their bookstore or an online seller, but the follow-through rate would probably be very low. If you had a copy to sell them right there, you might be able to hook them.

Good luck!

Russ,

Very, very commendable attitude for the public and the hobby. Thank you. If I may offer my opinion from experience when someone hands you a coin and asks the value-explain to them the best method to handle the coin, by the time you finish you will know if they are interested in learning or just want a price to sell and never enter the hobby itself. They fidget and look away while you talk to them. Take the youngster with a gleam in their eye who looks at you and says look what I found. Give them some of your time and maybe an old copy of a Red Book and you may have created a numismatist. Still what you are doing is very endearing to some I am sure. JMO-Jim

Russ,

Very, very commendable attitude for the public and the hobby. Thank you. If I may offer my opinion from experience when someone hands you a coin and asks the value-explain to them the best method to handle the coin, by the time you finish you will know if they are interested in learning or just want a price to sell and never enter the hobby itself. They fidget and look away while you talk to them. Take the youngster with a gleam in their eye who looks at you and says look what I found. Give them some of your time and maybe an old copy of a Red Book and you may have created a numismatist. Still what you are doing is very endearing to some I am sure. JMO-Jim

well first of all thanks for all the replies! and it's harder for me to convince people the value of there coin or the history, mostly becuase i am the youngster with the gleam in his eye. :)

Russ, the kind of thing your doing does work. I'm proof, a bit delayed but still proof.

I'll tell you what made me think, is when there were some interesting coins to look at, as well as ask about.

I know its asking alot but if you were able to give a historical context to the coin ie. 1864 IHC was minted during the Civil War you might be able to capture their attention and interest with a diversionary fact. Add to it the fact that it is 103 years old and depending upon the age of the submitter it could be the birth year of a great great grandparent. I have a birth year collection for my grandpa (1892) and will begin one to honor my grandma (1897). As a retired teacher I kow you always need a "hook" to capture the attention and more importantly the imagination of your audience. I hope this helps.