• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Three Piece Wright Brothers Commem sets ... TOO BAD!

8 posts in this topic

Is anyone else as disappointed as I am that the mint is not issuing the Wright Brothers coins in three or six piece sets? frown.gif I seldom purchased the sets in the wooden boxes except in the secondary market at heavily discounted prices. I did not want to tie up the additional funds, and I really don't like the "Uncirculated" coins at all. But I always tried to get the two or three piece Proof sets.

To me the coins were much more impressive when they are packaged together. I really disappointed that this type of “break” is occurring in the middle of my modern commemorative collection. What do you think about this?

I'm also disappointed. I look forward to NGC truly offering their multiholder, as I plan on placing the six-piece set in one smile.gif.

Hoot

The only thing I'm mad about is the waste of making halves. They ought to just make silver dollars and the gold pieces, halves only if silver. The clad halves seem to always go to [!@#%^&^] and tone terribly, escpecially the ms.

I tend to agree on the halves, I think they should sell silver ones, but for clad, I think they should actually produce them for circulation! Why not have them circulate, as at least they would serve an educational purpose. Then if people wanted them, include them in the mint sets. They could even produce the commem halves instead of Kennedy halves for the year there is a commem.

As for the lack of sets, I too am disappointed, but to make lemons into lemonade, this is an opportunity, as I usually like the unc sets, but I think the silver dollar this time looks much better in proof. I just finished ordering the three commems and some mint and proof sets, spending more than I ever have at the mint in a single order, and when I finally finished my checkout, I found out everything is back ordered except for the eagle and mint sets! 893frustrated.gif Oh well, at least I get a free upgrade to expedited shipping!

I agree with you, Robert, when it comes to the clad commemorative half dollars. The clad metal is unattractive. I thought that the Statue of Liberty half dollar was a really handsome design. Just think of how much nicer it would have been if it had been in 90% silver.

The only half dollar that was silver, besides the 1982 Washington piece, was the Bill of Rights piece that was issued ten years ago. As soon as I saw that set, I could see that the half dollar was something special. Unfortunately Congress went back to its old tricks of voting for the half dollars in the "hamburger metal."