• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1928-S Peace dollar, guess the grade and AT/NT... Answer given.

15 posts in this topic

Here's a coin I bought raw at a small local show about a year and a half ago. What would you grade it and do you consider it AT or NT? I'll respond around 4-5 pm my time (CA.) tonight. The images are by Bob Campbell and I think he did an excellent job.

Peace28S_VF20.jpg

Peace28S_VF20Rev.jpg

Hey Sy,

First I would say Natural Toning. With the toning it is difficult for my eyes to really determine actual condition/marks etc. but by what I see I would say MS 63.

Rey

Hi Skyman

I am sorry but i dont like it ! there is too much going on with the coin (seems messy to me) so i will go with AT EF details..

But you know i know nothing !!

dooly

The white speckling doesn't sit well with me, especially since it's in protected areas. If it was in some kind of textile pattern and laying on top... maybe coin had been splattered with oil before it toned though.

Still a pretty coin and it's rare to see Peace dollars with attractive toning.

Truth be told, I go back and forth on this one as to AT/NT. The image captures the colors well. The colors seem quite strong for a NT coin, and there is that "bubbling" on the obverse, which makes me think AT. On the other hand, the colors are reasonable for album toning, and that bubbling could have occured if the album had a plastic slider covering the coins. In any case I like the colors and I did not pay any sort of a premium for them.

As to grade, the dealer had this listed as a VF20 on his 2 x 2, which I thought was crazy. It does have that distinct scratch on Liberty's face, but still is an attractive coin. IMO it a solid VF35 to maybe an XF40, due mainly to wear on the eagle's wings. Of course that could be a bad strike originally, which is a little hard to tell after this much circulation. It cost me a whopping $22.

Truth be told, I go back and forth on this one as to AT/NT. The image captures the colors well. The colors seem quite strong for a NT coin, and there is that "bubbling" on the obverse, which makes me think AT. On the other hand, the colors are reasonable for album toning, and that bubbling could have occured if the album had a plastic slider covering the coins. In any case I like the colors and I did not pay any sort of a premium for them.

As to grade, the dealer had this listed as a VF20 on his 2 x 2, which I thought was crazy. It does have that distinct scratch on Liberty's face, but still is an attractive coin. IMO it a solid VF35 to maybe an XF40, due mainly to wear on the eagle's wings. Of course that could be a bad strike originally, which is a little hard to tell after this much circulation. It cost me a whopping $22.

know of anyway i can get in touch with this dealer? :devil:

And i thought the coin was slab scratched. Another great example of you can't grade a coin by the photo alone. Thanks for the test Sy and boy do i feelgoofy25a.gif36_2_1-1.gif

I think by examining this coin very closely, you can just about rule out any type of enhanced application of a toning agent. To me, the "splotchy" look appeared after this coin was starting to tone. Look along the nose, if a chemical, say in liquid form were to be applied to the surface of the coin, the cohesion factor of that liquid would not allow uniform penetration into a convergence area such as this.

Another area of interest would be the spines in Liberties crown, they extend into the "album toning" yet maintain their own color due to different surface texture (worked metal) as opposed to the natural flow of the surface metal, all naturally.

The reverse shows beautiful peripheral toning associated with a natural process with the interior of the coin uniform in color as if it were supported by perhaps paper/light cardboard. (unknown)

Naturally toned Peace dollars are rare for a reason.

Oh btw, had anyone clicked on the image properties, it gave the grade away. doh!

Disclaimer: pure conjecture, but historically accurate