• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC "Star" Only Registry!

9 posts in this topic

Braddick: I'm not sure you posted this in response to my Gobrecht thread, but since there's been so little activity in this forum lately, I'll assume so. I may be wrong, but I'll state my responses anyway:

1) There's been about 10 posts to the Registry Forum in the last month. Doesn't seem too active to me, so maybe more sets would liven things up a bit? Or perhaps we should weed out some of the other expensive sets so we can get that down to maybe 5 posts in a month and let it die of natural causes? wink.gif

2) Like it or not, the Gobrechts are a part of the US Coinage series. Some people like em. I'd argue against excluding ANY valid series from the Registry. It's not like there can be only a few sets and NGC has to prioritize. When was the last time a set was added?

3) I'd be in favor of any contrived set that encouraged more people to participate in the Registry and show their coins. I feel this outweighs any concern of it getting too crowded. As long as it's organized properly, and isn't difficult to navigate around, I'm all for growth.

TDN- I've been agreeing with you a tad too much lately (on the serious Threads) and that is scaring me.

I had to be contrary here although secretly I agree. This place could use more activity and if adding additional sets would do so, why not?

There might be little activity in this forum, but the last times I checked the NGC regitry seemed to have a fair amount of activity. Lots of set updates.

Also, in the beginning there were a bunch of sets that were basically PCGS-only, but that has been changing and there are now a solid mix of NGC and PCGS coins in the sets.

And I think a Gobrecht set would be fine even if it is short. It would a wonderful set to work on if the varieties were included.

As for a * only set, that would be impossible. Also, it would be like point chasing. You're chasing the *. I've got a handful of * coins and they received the * for different reasons (eye appeal, monster toning, half cameoed, etc). A set of these coins would be completely non-uniform.

Greg, I also believe that the star designation should have no bearing on the score. It's business re-generation in an already flooded market. New designations for certain series and the * at NGC is a resubmission shell game. I finally entered my Roosevelt set 1950-1964, proof Cams and DCams, and see no reason to re-submit two pre-star coins for a bump up in the score. It is as subjective as the grade.

i wouild not argue with a star set of coins on the registry i think it would be fun thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif that is what coins are all about fun!!

juggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gifjuggle.gif

and if for some reason you do not like it or do not want to post a set there then that would be okie! just dont post there or go look there! hi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gifhi.gif

michael

jeff

i have been collecting for 30 years and i been loving monsters for all 30 years...there was a time when you could buy monsters for 110% of ask.....now i have seen the same coins go for 10 times......i cant help it if alot more people than ever before happens to like what i like ( and that is monster toned coins ).....so when i sent my set in for pedigee purposes....i cant help it if ngc put stars on 60 of my coins......all it tells me is that i have been in the right channel for all this time.....sorts of nice paying 2k and hearing the smerks "he is crazy...that coin is only worth 1700 " and selling 5 years later for 20k

to me stars mean***** WOW****.........and i will tell ya......100% of the time a collection with 30 stars out of 100 will bring much more at selling time than the same collection with no stars........and i said 100% of the time

you know its funny watching some newbies compare their grades...at pcgs i have seen dogs in 67 holders......and they think their 500 coin is the same as the the next......only to go begging at sell time and cant understand how that 67 monster brought 10,000........alli i tell them is to buy the book before the coin

later

monsterman makepoint.gif