• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A wonderful article...

12 posts in this topic

I just got the latest issue of the Numismatist today, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a color photo of "Victory" and a 1907 double eagle on the cover. There is a nice article by Mike Moran on pg. 33 entitled: "Augustus Saint-Gaudens: American Michelangelo." It's not the typical biography on the sculptor, but instead focuses on how Teddy Roosevelt somehow convinced Saint-Gaudens to create two of the most beautiful coins ever produced by the mint! It's a short article but a very good read. There is also another on George Morgan's patterns which I have yet to read. I must admit, more than anything else, this magazine has made me regret not joining the ANA sooner!

A question: Can someone tell me if it was St. Gaudens who did that murial of the Black Union Civil War regament that was dipicted in the movie "Glory"? This murial is shown at the beginning and end of the movie (I think) during credits. I could swear ASG did do this but trying to catch the credits at the end of the movie is impossible. laugh.gif

jom

TomB recently posted something about an ASG exhibition or museum. He may have pics on his site, or maybe even a link to the ASG site. It's around somewhere. Might I suggest a Google search? (I'm tired now, else I'd poke around some more.)

EVP

Here is a link to the Saint-Gaudens historical site in Cornish NH with a list of works, I couldn't find any murals though (he was a sculptor primarily, so a mural would seem out of character you would think confused-smiley-013.gif). ASG Historical Site

Here is a link to my recent thread about the ASG National Historic Site and my web page still contains all of the photos I had previously put on it about ASG.

Jom, yes, ASG is the one who did that enormous work of art and there is at least one picture of it on my web site and linked in the thread I listed above.

he was a sculptor primarily, so a mural would seem out of character you would think

Hell, I don't know what you call it...lol But TomB did have a pic of it! I KNEW it was ASG but I just could remember what it was called or anything. Great classic art there....right up there with my other favorite: Fraser's "End of the Trail". laugh.gif

jom

Rick- I really enjoyed your Morgan pattern article. My only beef is the beautiful coins pictured in the article are permanently impounded in the Harry Bass research foundation and not available on the open market! wink.gif

Congratulations on a fine article!

Mark

Rick,

That was a wonderful article on Morgan, I really enjoyed it. I must admit, I believe Morgan and the Barbers were still somewhat stuck on the old one design for all denominations idea that characterizes most series prior to WWI. I am not very familiar with Morgan's patterns, but the photos on the article really bear a strong family resemblance to the dollar (at least the obverse). Were there any very different patterns? I am merely comparing him to ASG, who in my opinion radically changed the view of coin design, and if not for his untimely death would have produced radically different designs for each denomination. After nearly 70 years of the Coronet design on gold coins, the difference between his double eagle and eagle is startling. Perhaps it was just him being in the right place at the right time and seeing the need for change. And although Morgans patterns are stunning, I think if we were working on Morgan dime, quarter and half sets today, they would probably be only as popular as Barber's designs. I think what makes the Morgan dollar so popular is what makes it different from the smaller denominations.

Thanks for writing and researching such a great article, I really enjoyed it!

Thanks Boiler and jtryka. Boiler, I am pretty sure that, when the loan agreement to the ANA runs out in 8 years, the Bass coins will become available.

jtryka, frankly, I never really thought about the fact that Morgan's designs were so unidimensional. I've always loved the designs, ever since I first saw a copper Morgan dime about 30 years ago. In retrospect, you are right that, at least on the obverse, he stuck with the tried and true. He did experiment a bit on the reverse. Boiler can display some of the variety. As for the popularity, I agree that, had the Morgan design been adopted up the denominational line, many of us would find those coins significantly less desireable. Thanks for the feedback. Rick