• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What causes this type of surace on a 1947 Nickel ?

12 posts in this topic

Hi all

Just recived this 1947 D nickel from ebay today and the fields are all bobbably (for want of a better word) can anyone tell me what/why this has happened

thanks dooly

1947d.jpg

1947dr.jpg

147dc.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This is called "orange peel surface," and it appears as the die erodes from too many strikes. Lapping the die face will remove these lines and leave its surface prooflike.

This cycle of extreme wear and die refinishing was repeated a lot during the late 1940s, particularly at the San Francisco Mint, as an economy move to use dies beyond their reasonable lifespan. It is also common on Philadelphia Mint coins from the early-mid 1980s, though it can occur at any mint at any time.

While not quite as bobbably as yours dooly, this 49-D that I just finished imaging for Sy shows the same "Orange Peel" effect. In fact we were just talking about it last night. Great timing. (thumbs u

1949obv255.jpg

1949rev269.jpg

Mr. Lange hit the nail on the head. I have several examples of orange peeled coins in my collection ( I keep them mostly because non-collectors get a kick out of them) My favorite is a couple of Alabama state quarters that have extreme orange peel.

It looks to me as doolys is a circulated coin and not MS .. Definitely not a 65

On Robecs Coin you can see flow lines across the features , that is the KNOWN

Orange PEEL look

my 2c

1983JFK.jpg

dooly...this type of die erosion occurs on other types of US Coinage such as this 1983-P Kennedy half dollar. I for one do not care to have what I consider low grade Mint State coins from this era, there are examples of well struck coins from the mints available out there, Sometimes you just have to wade through stuff like this to get to the good ones.

I bought this 83-P for a few bucks from an auction image that did not show the "bobbably" until I had it in hand. The orange peel is only evident on the obverse, the reverse is way better looking, too bad.

Yes, your Jefferson is in Mint State condition...65 maybe a stretch, but what I've already seen in holders, there is that chance.

It's classic symptoms of common die erosion. During the 1940s, the mints were notorious for using dies beyond their proper lifespan. It was a money saving effort (new dies are expensive).