• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The case of the missing Gobrechts

20 posts in this topic

I was wondering why the Gobrecht dollar doesn't have its own set in the dollar section? Granted, it would be short - just the 1836 and 1839, but they could always add the 1836 Name under base and the 1838 to spruce it up a bit!

Yes, but it's a very short set. Sort of like having a 20c BMP set...

boo.gif

EVP

Yeah, but the Gobrechts pretty much lasted longer than the SBA and likely longer than the Sacagawea so why not. At least this short set would take time and money to complete unlike many other short sets.

TDN,

This is not to knock your ideas of a CC set or a Gob set, but I've always felt that the registry set concept should consist of the following ideals:

1. Act as an enabler for the typical collector.

2. Act as a challenge for the typical collector.

3. Act as a showcase for the typical collector.

4. Inspire friendly competition for the typical collector.

If the above were adopted and implemented, you need not feel left out because you're not the typical collector. You have the means, and have achieved the results, of which many a typical collector would be envious.

I am an atypical collector, and have put together a collection worthy of mention in many circles. Yet, I am envious of what you can accomplish and what you have accomplished.

Sac's, SBA's, ASE's etc., are ideal sets for the typical collector because in high grade proof, they are both attractive and generally affordable. They do nothing for me, but I can understand why the registry concept has to accomodate them.

The sets that you want cater to a rarified collector base; as such, you should not expect a groundswell of support for your cause.

And, just so I can use an emoticon: I really love the coins that you have. (I'm sure you have some idea of which ones I have in mind!) thumbsup2.gif

EVP

EVP - I expect zero groundswell of support for my case. That shouldn't stop me from stating my view, however.

I believe the Registry is also a place for the typical collector, who may or may not have a major dealer near them and may or may not be able to travel to major shows, to see some atypical coins. Since it costs NGC almost nothing to put the set up, and the benefits to the typical collector are obvious - even tho he certainly won't participate - I feel that overrides the concern of the Registry becoming too full of various sets.

I guess if putting up new sets are trivially easy for NGC, then I don't see the big deal either.

The big question for me is really why you have 3 stars and I have only 2!

Time for another emoticon:

sumo.gif

EVP

The NGC Registry seems to be different from the other Registry, because you rarely see competitive posts here -- ie. Hey, I moved up .002 percentage points today with my upgraded state quarter.

Instead, it's, hey guys, look at this neat Arrows & Rays Half I got, with no mention of points involved. Just cool coins, many times with cool stories, and mostly, with pics. That's the right attitude to have in my opinion.

And in TDN's defense, the Registry should have a spot for all US coins. If we can spotlight bullion, which is popular with newer collectors, we should certainly spotlight Gobrecht Dollars, which are popular with more advanced collectors. Surely TDN is not going to be the only person who has one?

And we all started somewhere. My first set was a complete set of Modern Commemoratives in MS-69. Since that time, I've branched out a wee bit and my Complete US Type Set is now at 50% completion. With time my tastes have changed, but while I collected those commems, I appreciated having a Registry spot for them.

• Administrator
EVP - I expect zero groundswell of support for my case. That shouldn't stop me from stating my view, however.

I believe the Registry is also a place for the typical collector, who may or may not have a major dealer near them and may or may not be able to travel to major shows, to see some atypical coins. Since it costs NGC almost nothing to put the set up, and the benefits to the typical collector are obvious - even tho he certainly won't participate - I feel that overrides the concern of the Registry becoming too full of various sets.

Pretty soon now we're putting in some changes that will make categorizing sets differently a bit easier. This could play into some more diverse set choices, but we'll have to see.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifjuggle.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif