• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Lady with a good head on her shoulders...

17 posts in this topic

If all SLQ's had to use this for a reference for FH very,very few would ever attain that qualification. Great coin, is it yours? If so, congrats.

If all SLQ's had to use this for a reference for FH very,very few would ever attain that qualification. Great coin, is it yours? If so, congrats.

This is a very nice and very pretty coin, but oddly enough the Type I 1917 quarter is fairly common with the full head. After the mint changed the design that same year, the strike quality went right down the tube.

This is a very nice and very pretty coin, but oddly enough the Type I 1917 quarter is fairly common with the full head. After the mint changed the design that same year, the strike quality went right down the tube.

Yep, that's for sure. In fact, I am convinced they are more common with a full head than without. Interestingly, this is also true of the Type 1 branch mint coins - not difficult to find with full head detail.

That is a lovely coin. I need two of them for my type sets, one business strike and one proof ( if they made any proof's)

Hi Dwaine,

For all intents and purposes no Proof Standing Liberty quarters are NOT available so far as collectors are concerned. There are a couple of 1916 Matte Proof quarters, but they did not have the designer’s initial “M” on them, which makes those coins patterns of a sort. The only one traced is now in the Smithsonian. In 1917 that were also a couple Matte Proofs reported. Following those two limited mintages there is not even a rumor of any other Standing Liberty quarters made as Proofs.

World War I ended Proof coin production on a regular basis. It would not be resumed until 1936. During that dry period a small number of Proof coins were made on a sporadic (some would say “clandestine”) basis, but few pieces were sold to collectors. One of the notable exceptions was the Hawaiian commemorative half dollar. Fifty Matte Proof examples of that coin were struck.

There are actually three Standing Liberty Quarter type coins, the Type I shown here and two versions of the Type II. The NGC type coin registry has slots for both of the variations of the Type II quarters. From 1917 to 1924 the date was struck in a space close to the surface of the coin. Some of these coins were so poorly stuck in the date area that it is almost unreadable on Mint State coins. After these coins reached circulation, the date wore off pretty rapidly. Even some VF coins are dateless.

In 1925 the date recessed, which improved the situation there, but the design continued to be plagued with poor strikes. Poor strikes probably encouraged mint officials to do away with the Standing Liberty Quarter design before its traditional 25 year run.