• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1967 SMS Roosie MS 68 DCAM or not ??? Worth a Crossover???

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1967 Special Mint Set that has been individually graded by ANACS. The Roosevelt currently is in an MS 68 DCAM Holder. Based on the images below:

1. Would be a Cameo or Ultra Cameo at NGC or PCGS?

2. Would it be worth crossing over?

The golden coloration in the hair and the leaves on the reverse is toning and the spot at the base of the neck is the "frosting" which looks as if it flowed from the profile.

Thanks,

Rey

1967MS68DCAMRoosieObv.jpg

1967MS68DCAMRoosieRev.jpg

This is a somewhat expensive coin in DCAM/UCAM. Would it be worth crossing to PCGS or NGC? Possibly. It depends on what the current value of the coin is in an ANACS slab.

From the images, I think that it would retain the DCAM/UCAM designation at either PCGS or NGC. I cannot comment on the grade as marks I see may or may not be on the coin.

I don't know what this coin would bring in an ANACS slab, but I suspect it is pretty low. The PCGS Price MisGuide lists this coin at $3,500, so I suspect in a PCGS slab it would bring $2,000-$2,500. Gut feeling that in an ANACS slab it'd bring maybe $150-$200. That's pure gut feeling with no basis in actual pricing. Modern ANACS graded coins do not seem to command healthy prices.

Based on what I suspect the price difference is, I'd try to cross it at PCGS at MS68DCAM and if that didn't work, either try NGC for MS68UCAM or PCGS for MS67DCAM.

You may do better if you crack the coin and dip it before submitting. The toning is not going to help your chances of crossing and it may be dip residue.

I see a CAM there, but a DCAM is doubtful. The contrast is a "near miss" IMO.

I also see a spot at the tip of FDR's bust. That would bother me, but I've seen similar spots on high grade Proofs and SMS coins, and it did not seem to bother the PCGS and NGC graders.

From the photos, I do not think it would cross at 68 nor do I think it would DCAM at PCGS. I think it would likely come back as a 66 or 67 CAM. That said, I agree with Greg that the coin could use a dip if geting it into the highest possible holder is your intent (understand that it might not help, and could hurt). However, personally, I would leave the coin as-is and enjoy it for what it is, not what it could be. All IMHO and respectfully submitted..Mike

Thanks for the opinions guys. Actually this all just came about today while I was updating my collection spreadsheets with current values. I had never looked up the values for the 67 SMS and when I got to the Roosevelt today it may be wonder.

I realize that currently being in an ANACS holder as MS 68 DCAM does not guarantee a direct cross over but my goal was to get some concensus on what others thought the result may be.

Will have to see if I do anything and will let you know. Another day with a little unexpected potential surprise - keeps the hobby fun.

Rey