• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will NGC Put The Bolender attribute on the slab?

14 posts in this topic

Does NGC put the Bolender attribute (and or variety) for Bust Half Dollar's on the slab when grading these days? If so, can you send in one already graded and ask to have it slabbed with this info? Thanks for any information.

stman,

You can find more info about NGC's Variety Attribution service in this Guide that they have published. You need Adobe Acrobat to view it. There is a minor fee for the service, but I'm not 100% what it is.

Does NGC put the Bolender attribute (and or variety) for Bust Half Dollar's on the slab when grading these days? If so, can you send in one already graded and ask to have it slabbed with this info? Thanks for any information.
This is probably a great question for the Ask NGC board, however, I will tell you that NGC will attribute the Bust half series as per Overton numbers and would assume they would attribute the Bust dollar series as per Bolender numbers. I believe at one time they offered something like a Variety Plus service where they would research the variety and label it as such for a nominal fee of $5 or so.

So, what cool coins do you have to get slabbed? smile.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Does NGC put the Bolender attribute (and or variety) for Bust Half Dollar's on the slab when grading these days?

Bust halves are given the Overton #'s. Bolender #'s are for ED's. NGC's preference is to use BB #'s for attributing ED die marriages, but I think they also put the Bol#'s on the Miller coins.

EVP

I believe at one time they offered something like a Variety Plus service where they would research the variety and label it as such for a nominal fee of $5 or so.

They still have this service, but they recently raised the price to $7.

Thanks guys... I didn't know if you had to request the service, or if they did it automatic. I guess that explains why the halves in NGC holders I've seen so far do not have it. I don't have any to slab at the moment.... The Bust Halves are a new journey for me and was just curious with my question. I guess my question should have been about the Overtion #. confused.gif

Since Tom asked smile.gif Here is a Draped Bust Half I recently picked up. Yes it has a print, but I felt the history of the coin and imo being "original" made up for it. Please see attachment. Just a quick simple scan.I will post the rev in my next post.

589a8b2d7a11a_258077-1805BustHalf200resobv.jpg.51b47e89c675c4041de108ec589f2321.jpg

I applaud NGC and ANACS for offering attribution service. PCGS should offer attribution service as a leading 3-P grading company. There are 557 currently known 1794-1836 Overton varieties, it takes considerable talent to consistently attribute these coins with accuracy.

As somebody mentioned, Bolender numbers apply to early dollars, Overton numbers to early halves. I have seen a couple of slabs with Beistle numbers on them, however (early halves).

I prefer Bolender to Bowers/Borkhardt references.

James

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

EVP is right about NGC using BB numbers instead of B(olender). I only wish the Bowers/Borckardt book would be reprinted or updated, but that isn't likely after QDB's departure from B&M. It is such a better reference than either Bolender or Reiver.

EVP, you are wrong about the Beistle book. I do have a copy collecting dust, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use his numbers. foreheadslap.gif