• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Input Requested: My New eBay Return Policy

15 posts in this topic

I'm updating my return policy and was hoping for member input. I've tried to make it more clear for the buyers, but also prevent any return abuse and loopholes.

I've excluded BIN items from return, as items I list as a BIN are usually ultra-modern coins at well below current market values, just so I can move them fast. I don't want returns due to rapidly changing prices. I'm limiting it to 1 auction return in 30 days as I don't want someone winning 20 items and asking to return them all.

I try to provide accurate pictures & descriptions and start my auctions at 1c to let the market dictate value. However, should you feel the auction didn't accurately portray the item, I'll issue a full refund (less S&H). All I require is that within 3 days of receiving the item, you email me to let me know your wish to return.

Note: The return privilege is void for: Items purchased with the Buy-It-Now or if the payment is not received in 10 calendar days. Limit 1 auction return per 30 days.

Does anyone see any potential problems? Seem fair? You are limited to 500 characters for your return policy, so I have to be brief.

I'd limit it to two or three auctions, rather than one. If you are selling items such as bullion where the market can change quickly, I'd limit returns on that as well. If silver fails and someone has bought a few ounces of silver from you, you don't want them to return it just because the market has gone down.

Yes, I'd say all bullion sales are final.

Perhaps mention something to the effect of "returns not accepted for damage to holders unless damage to holder compromised the coin's surface integrity. Holders are meant to take the hits for the coin and that means they get scratched sometimes." In other words, if the holder arrives scratched, scuffed, or with a cracked corner, too bad for the buyer, but if a slab gets snapped clean in two in transit, you will accept a return (likely you'll be addressing it with the shipping insurer anyway).

The big thing that got you last time was that the return policy should be stated to apply only to the coins, not the holders.

I don't so much like the "buy-it-now" items not being covered by a return privilege.

A bit better than the last iteration, but if I were you, I'd have different Ts&Cs for each of your different types of auctions -- one for BINs and one for regular auctions. For instance, for your BIN offerings, it's better to not mention any type of return policy rather than to offer one, then negate it later in your terms -- it would be viewed by me as confusing at best and deceptive at worst. Hope this helps...Mike

Greg, since I am strictly one who uses eBay to buy, I would agree with Chad that you should exclude most bullion from returns. I say "most" because you may want to make exceptions for some Mint-produced gold, silver and/or platinum coins.

Maybe you should also consider excluding only those BIN's where the buyer is purchasing multiple items. Do you ever use the "Make Offer" feature? How would you handle that?

Chris

Far better, Greg. I would also go to 2 or 3 returns within 30 days as you don't want to discourage someone from repeat buying within 30 days on a technicality while this will still prevent a major 30 item return request as before. After what you went through how can you not differentiate between coin and holder damage? I agree also in regards to bullion sales-no return(and why should you?). With these changes I feel you will have an honest, respectable return policy that I would be comfortable with. Please leave feedback as soon as a winner pays. I feel that is paramount to seller honesty. Great luck with your new policy.

1) I limited it to 1 in 30 days for two reasons:

It will discourage a "lookie-loo" buyer from winning several auctions.

I've heard from some sellers that they have encountered some buyers who change their mind after the auction ends and basically tells the seller that if they force the sale, they'll just return all the items under the return privilege. This way that prevents a multiple item buyer from doing this to me. In reality, if a buyer has a legitimate excuse, I'll take as many returns as necessary.

2) I am going to add no return to bullion related items. While I don't sell much of this stuff (unless you call NGC graded proof SAEs bullion), it can't hurt to add.

3) I'm OK taking back a coin if the slab is damaged. Usually I'll just offer the buyer a couple of dollars to get it reholdered and most accept this. If I thought I was being scammed, I'd offer to have them reholdered for the buyer. ;)

4) I rarely use the Make An Offer feature as I get too many kooks that think an offer of $125 on a $1,000 item is realistic. When I do use the Make An Offer, it would be the same as a BIN as it is just the negotiation before the BIN.

5) I'll consider using two different T&Cs. Right now it is entered into Turbo Lister and added to all listings. I'll see if I can customize it by type of listing.

4) I rarely use the Make An Offer feature as I get too many kooks that think an offer of $125 on a $1,000 item is realistic. When I do use the Make An Offer, it would be the same as a BIN as it is just the negotiation before the BIN.
You might get that from people that don't know the market and have learned from other sellers. For some sellers, 12.5% is quite reasonable for just about everything they're selling on eBay with Make An Offer.

One auction sounds kind of harsh. Maybe a handfl or just exlude modern mess from the policy.

I did think about excluding all post-1964 coins from it, but since most of those are usually BIN I didn't.

Also, it's one auction in a 30 day period. If the buyer is a reasonable person, I'd have no problem letting them return more. If they aren't, I'll add them to my blocked bidder list long before they can win a second auction. :)

One auction sounds kind of harsh. Maybe a handfl or just exlude modern mess from the policy.

I did think about excluding all post-1964 coins from it, but since most of those are usually BIN I didn't.

Also, it's one auction in a 30 day period. If the buyer is a reasonable person, I'd have no problem letting them return more. If they aren't, I'll add them to my blocked bidder list long before they can win a second auction. :)

The list only accomodates 1000 ebayers. You'll fill that up in no time!

BTW, what did you end up doing with the last nimrod?

The list only accomodates 1000 ebayers. You'll fill that up in no time!

I'm actually adding bidders at an amazing rate. It fills up fast when you add all the people who ask really stupid questions and you know they'll be trouble.

BTW, what did you end up doing with the last nimrod?

We agreed on a partial return.

I'm updating my return policy and was hoping for member input. I've tried to make it more clear for the buyers, but also prevent any return abuse and loopholes.

I've excluded BIN items from return, as items I list as a BIN are usually ultra-modern coins at well below current market values, just so I can move them fast. I don't want returns due to rapidly changing prices. I'm limiting it to 1 auction return in 30 days as I don't want someone winning 20 items and asking to return them all.

I try to provide accurate pictures & descriptions and start my auctions at 1c to let the market dictate value. However, should you feel the auction didn't accurately portray the item, I'll issue a full refund (less S&H). All I require is that within 3 days of receiving the item, you email me to let me know your wish to return.

Note: The return privilege is void for: Items purchased with the Buy-It-Now or if the payment is not received in 10 calendar days. Limit 1 auction return per 30 days.

Does anyone see any potential problems? Seem fair? You are limited to 500 characters for your return policy, so I have to be brief.

Greg, if for any reason you wish to add a few words within the limited space allowed, you could delete " to let the market dictate value". You could also change " All I require is that within 3 days of receiving the item, you email me to let me know your wish to return" to "All I require is an email notification within 3 days of receipt of the item".

I would not exclude BIN coins from my return priveledge. Perhaps an ebay store would save you money on fees for this material. Try to have as consistent a refund policy as possible, take a look at how other sellers do it. The Teletrade refund policy is a good model.

I offer 7 day return priveledge (their return must be postmarked no less than 7 days from my date of shipment) while late payment (I expect payment within 7 days of auction close) and bounced payments void this. Sight seen sales at shows are final. I can understand being hacked about returns - I would refund inexpensive items immediately, if you needed the money to pay your rent from a big ticket item they returned, acknowledge you received the return and then say the refund will be disbursed within 30 days. If they become snotty or neg you about this, neg them in return. Just do not delay refund beyond 30 days. Also, you can offer refund as "merchandise credit" - this way the buyers remorse is not traking food off your table.