• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found an S-mint quarter in circulation.

11 posts in this topic

The other day I found a New York state quarter with an S mintmark in the register at work. It was really bright and shiny so I wanted to have it anyway and didn't notice the S until I got home and inspected it. I'm still an amateur at coin collecting so I don't know much about the whole thing. I know the S quarter were only released as proof coins and not into circulation. But since I found one in circulation, I was wondering how much it might be worth.

Howdy and welcome. If it is the clad version then I would believe it would be worth face value or just slightly above face value. The silver version would of course be worth at least silver melt.

Proof coins are specially handled, they are never touched with bare fingers nor are they allowed to come in contact with other coins (this handling avoids finger prints and marks, scratches to the surfaces of the coin) and are put into holders for sale to the public.

Once a proof coin is released into circulation any numerous things can happen to the extra polished and frosted surfaces and the value diminishes significantly over protected coins.

Still something unique to find in change...good eye and welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum Eric. Hope you will have fun and be educated on many aspects of coin collecting, for I know I have. To answer your question on the value of circulated modern coins, I think ebay auctions prices would be a good place to start.

John :hi:

Neat find, Eric. Welcome to the forum. Take a photo of the coin and share it with us. In case you do not know, photobucket.com is a great place to store your pics so that you can download them in most any forum or such. Enjoy your hobby.

Welcome to the forum Eric. Nice find on a circulated proof. Don't find too many of those. As stated tho', the circulation has taken the proof qualities away. It still does not take away the variety, as it is still a proof.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. Somehow I figured it would be a day or so before anyone replied. I don't have a camera, but I took a scan of the coin for you. It looks pretty beat up in the image, but that's probably due to scan quality as the quarter looks very shiny and clear (the flat surface on the back is almost mirror-like) in person. I can't tell whether it's a silver coin or not. The edge doesn't quite look like it's solid silver, but it does look different from regular quarters, so I can't really be sure.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/Erdrick001/2001-S-NYfront.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i161/Erdrick001/2001-S-NYback.jpg

You would know the difference if it was silver. Solid silver color on the edge as to compared to a copper color and silver color. Looking at the scans also, I see a little gold coloring around the edges indicating quite possibly is clad.

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards Eric, nice find, since I have to agree you do not find many s mint marks floating around.