• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction's "Make a Offer"

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone besides myself bought a coin from Heritage Auction's "Make a Offer"? I made a ridiculous low offer on a nicely toned Lincoln Commemorative the other day and my offer was accepted.

Are you talking about the coins that did not meet the reserve and are put on the make offer list. This is a nice feature for the buyer,seller, and the auction house. Great job on picking one of these up 123cents.

John

I've purchased a few coins from their general inventory from the Make an Offer, but not from the new virtual bourse (which I guess is where other dealers consign items to Heritage). The Make an Offer from their inventory used to have fairly tight rules, the offer couldn't be more than 15% below the list price, and then they had like 3 days to wait for other offers once you made an offer. If yours was the highest offer after the 3 days it was accepted. Things might be different for the virtual bourse, since I suppose it would be just the seller deciding whether or not to accept your offer, but I can't say for certain.

They give an "offer range" that is usually 10-15% below the original price. If you are in that range, which is usually wholesale, then the offer will be accepted if you are first. The only other charge is shipping.

I bouught my first Bustie from them that way.

I've only ever picked up may be one or two items this way. A much more effective way is to pick up the phone and call them. That way, you're negotiating with a live person. Also, the "make an offer" limits the range of offers you can make. If you talk to the live person, you can ask him to forward an even lower offer verbally to the consignor.

My suggestion: don't waste your time on that feature.

Has anyone besides myself bought a coin from Heritage Auction's "Make a Offer"? I made a ridiculous low offer on a nicely toned Lincoln Commemorative the other day and my offer was accepted.
It sounds as if perhaps the offer wasn't ridiculously low after all. ;) What was the grade and the price and may we see images?

I have never partipated in this feature with Heritage. I have however been successful with the make an offer through DLRC on two occasions. My offers were at a price that I was totally comfortable in paynig and a decent percentage of immediate and future upside potential. Most importantly though they were two specific coins I was looking for at the right grade, etc.

Rey

I have also used the "Make Offer" at DLRC with positive results. What leaves me curious is the fact that when I submitted the offers, the acceptance was almost instantaneous. I can only assume that they have already established a minimum price that they are willing to accept and it is programmed into their listing. If the offer is any amount greater than their minimum, it is automatically accepted. I think the next time I choose to use the "Make Offer", I will intentionally make a low ball offer and see how high I must go to gain acceptance.

Chris

I can only assume that they have already established a minimum price that they are willing to accept and it is programmed into their listing.

Undoubtedly, I've bought currency from HA with the make an offer and it took my offer immediately.

I have low balled an offer at DLRC and they have responded with a counter offer. Sometimes I have accepted their counter offer and other times let it slide depending upon the coin and the price. ;-)

I've made some reasonable counter offers to them at the shows after they gave me a quote, and they accepted them. (thumbs u They can be a good source for good buys if you know what you are doing.