• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you see a counterfeit coin listed on Ebay, please try the polite approach...

35 posts in this topic

It must be something special about eBay, mass hysteria or something. If I saw a coin in a shop that said "key date: is it fake??" written on the 2X2. Just that alone would be enough to make me pass on it.

and thanks Mark for confirming my coin.

i think the polite approach is best as the first round, but more often than not, the sellers don't respond honorably. my favorite mis-listing is the 1866 liberty seated dime. 9 times out of 10, the coin is really teh 1866-S with the weak or worn off S. i point out that the slanted date is indicative of the san fran issue, and that if they want to check it out for themselves, all they have to do is check the brian greene book to confirm it. only once has a seller thanked me and listed a caveat to the posting that it could be an S. one seller even threatened me and told me to mind my own business, so i emailed the bidders with the info.

i like ebay, but it can be a dangerous place if you don't know what you're doing.