• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just recieved this for my 7070 (Seated Dime)

10 posts in this topic

The seller's photos were not all that great. I took some photos of it still in the slab. What's your oppinion on the grade, and overall appearance. I'll give my oppinion a little later.

JJ

1891o.jpg

1891r.jpg

I'm not real good with these Relic but my unknowledgeable opinion is I see alot of chatter. I'm also thinking it's been dipped a while back. I'd still say about MS60-61.

While I would have to see it in hand, and I could never be sure, I am going to disagree with bobby on both counts. I think it looks marvelous, and would grade it MS-63, maybe even 64 on a good day.

The coin has nice detail, a good strike and is a fine addition to a 7070, especially as the last year of the series. (thumbs u I think it is definitely an MS coin in the 62-63 range.

Are trying to put MS coins across the board in your 7070?

The chatter, is a photographic illusion. I took the picture in sunlight, and it made the surfaces look chattery for some reason.

JJ

Yeah silver coins and direct sunlight don’t mix well; the silver seems to reflect in unnaturally bright little points that look too harsh and speckle like. :P

Your photo may be not so good but I believe from what I can see your dime is very nice, (thumbs u well struck with good detail at the top of the wreath and Liberty’s head, attractive toning around the edge, and the fields look real clean, (when I tried using sunlight for coin photos I saw that the sunlight made any scratches and hairlines really stand out, so I feel if your dime’s fields had distractions you’d see em.)

I like this coin a lot, its fine MS dime for your 7070 type album, but what MS is too hard to call from the photos, still I’ll guess it’s at least a 63.

The coin has nice detail, a good strike and is a fine addition to a 7070, especially as the last year of the series. (thumbs u I think it is definitely an MS coin in the 62-63 range.

Are trying to put MS coins across the board in your 7070?

Not really, I'm just trying to put a higher grade set together. My goal, is that each coins has some luster remaining. Easy on the more common coins, may be a little bit expensive on the scarcer issues.

JJ

From the picture, I don't know where you guys are coming up with such low grades.

That baby looks every bit of a gem bu. 64/65

I'm growing more conservative in grading from images. Rather than assume, I'd rather err on the side of caution than exuberance. hm

It can work both ways. I've been too hard on some coins that when I saw them in hand all objections were removed. :cloud9: On the other hand I've seen some tremendous pictures and colorful toning that I just can't find with the naked eye on the same coin. :frustrated: