• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Official: Jefferson First Spouse will go on sale August 30th

23 posts in this topic

Limit of One seems a little drastic.....I would have thought 2 or 3 might be just as reasonable. I dont suppose it much matters since people who depend on this for a living are several steps ahead of Mint set limits. It's almost worth buying one just to sell.

Nope, 20,000 for each product option.

Is it 20,000 each or any way the 40,000 limit is reached? Such as 15,000 uncirculated and 25,000 proofs.

So will this drive up prices or drive them down? I'm thinking it will drive them up, as it will be harder for some people to acquire the total number of coins they want/need, thus increasing demand.

So will this drive up prices or drive them down? I'm thinking it will drive them up, as it will be harder for some people to acquire the total number of coins they want/need, thus increasing demand.

Or, everyone who wants one could order it from the Mint, and aftermarket prices might only be in the $500 range.

Supposedly, the options are completely equal, 20,000 Unc and 20,000 proof. Some beg to differ, however.

I think I'll take a slightly more novel approach. These coins are interesting and I consider them linked to the presidential dollars (which I plan to collect in mint state and proof). However, while I want them, I'm not interested in $400+ for them, so I'm going to buy the bronze medals; I might even get them slabbed by NGC for a really warped signature set :) . That way the presentation will be consistent with that of my Pres dollars.

I actually bought some medals and sent in the best of my order to get graded and got MS66 for MW and AA, which I was sorely disappointed with. Right after my auction finished, I saw someone put up some MS67s, I think they are still on sale.

I'll keep collecting the medals picking the best of the lot to go with my proofs. But I won't be grading any more medals, I'll keep these as a reminder of how much I need to learn about grading.

As for the gold, maybe someday. I really wish the law allowed for a silver coin.

I actually bought some medals and sent in the best of my order to get graded and got MS66 for MW and AA, which I was sorely disappointed with. Right after my auction finished, I saw someone put up some MS67s, I think they are still on sale.

I'll keep collecting the medals picking the best of the lot to go with my proofs. But I won't be grading any more medals, I'll keep these as a reminder of how much I need to learn about grading.

As for the gold, maybe someday. I really wish the law allowed for a silver coin.

The trend seems to be for MS66. I wonder if NGC is just being nasty about the fact that they're the medals. I think I'll wait until later in the year order 4 or 5 each of the first 4 f.s. medals and send in the best of each with some IHCs that I want to have graded. The extras will probably be given to people like my step-father, another coin collector, and my mother, a history buff.

One per household is a good idea.

Last time people who tried to the purchase the four piece sets had their orders declined and then a very large amount of the mintate went to speculators who made out like bandits. :P That sucks. :censored:

Collectors who really want this stuff should be given a decent chance to buy these coins at the issue price.

Back when the mint was selling that Gold eagle set last year, a local dealer had a group of collectors place orders for him. He paid those collectors a guaranteed $50 per set for each set they purchased. It was an easy $500 (10 sets X $50 per set) for everyone who went in on the deal. Of course if those collectors had chosen to speculate with their own money, they would have made a lot more.

But a no risk $500 profit is not bad.

Well, of all the first spouse issues, this one is the only one I'm interested in.

I agree, but all you are getting is a reproduction of the Draped Bust half cent design. The reverse, which is nothing but words, is really disappointing. Basically the design is uninspired. It’s just another “made to sell” coin from the mint, and I’m pretty tired of it. zzz