• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Follow the lead - Ancients - Country, Date, Metal Composition, Theme

10 posts in this topic

• Administrator

The other follow the lead post doesn't seem to hit ancients much. So here's a follow the lead post for ancients. Post an ancient coin that follows the lead of the coin before in any of the following ways:

• Country - Any coin from the country of the previous coin
  • Date - Any coin from the same decade as the previous coin
  • Metal compositions - any coin with either the same weight within 0.5g or the same % of precious metal as the previous coin
  • Theme - Any coin with the same symbolic theme of imagery (animals, architecture, geography, victory commemoration, god/goddess, etc.)

Not my coin, but just to get the ball rolling:

gastore_0022.jpg

Trajan AD 114 -117 Silver Denarius

"Trajan's Column"

"Trajan's exploits remembered on this column".

Obv: IMP TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC P M TR P - Laureate bust right, draped. Rev: COS VI P P SPQR - Trajan atop column with two eagles at base

Rome mint AD 114-117 = RIC II, p. 265, 307 common; Cohen 115

Weight: 3.52 g.

Surely someone out here has some good Ancients to post. Great idea for a thread. I only have one and can't follow the lead yet.

Rey

silver, not my coin.

76000814.jpg

JUDAEA, First Jewish War. 66-70 CE. AR Shekel (14.14 g, 12h). Dated year 3 (68/9 CE). Omer cup with pearled rim; date above / Sprig of three pomegranates. Meshorer 202; Hendin 662. EF, toned. Sharply struck on good metal, with all the pearls clearly visible.

Silver Greek.......

76003115.jpg

PTOLEMAIC KINGS of EGYPT. Ptolemy IV Philopator. 225-205 BC. AR Tetradrachm (14.27 g, 12h). Alexandreia mint. Jugate busts of Zeus Serapis, laureate and draped, and Isis, wreathed and draped right; small cap of Osiris above Serapis, globe and horns above Isis / Eagle standing left on thunderbolt; filleted cornucopia over shoulder, DI between legs. Svoronos 1124; SNG Copenhagen 197-8. Good VF, attractively toned. Rare.

Greek. Æ 17mm (4.38 g). 325-310 BC.

Pantikapaion in Thrace. Cimmerian Bosporos.

Obv: Head of bearded satyr facing left

Rev: Ox’s head facing left

SNG BM Black Sea 890-3.

cimmerian.jpg

Bronze!

Pontius Pilate, Roman Procurators of Judea, year 30 AD.

One from my own collection. Extremely rare barbaric, totally retrograde Pontius Pilate prutah. 3 total known from this die, with this one being the finest known. Has been published about 3 times and is a plate coin in The Coins of Pontius Pilate

43137-1ab.jpg.520e98f4e1ec65b793365ab5ed3c371e.jpg