• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think?

12 posts in this topic

I was thumbing through some of the dealer ads in the latest Coin World when an offering from L&C Coins caught my eye:

"REGISTRY STATE SILVER WASHINGTON QUARTERS"

In it, they list a 2005-S Oregon Silver, Pop 120, DCAM PRF70, PCGS for $400 and a 2005-S Kansas Silver, Pop 88, DCAM PRF70, PCGS for $500. I have both of these coins in NGC PF70UCAM, but the POP for the Oregon is 2930 and the Kansas is 2703.

Is PCGS really that tight on grading the Proof SQ's? If that is the case, I'm a little surprised that some of the owners of similar NGC specimens haven't submitted them to PCGS for crossover.

BY THE WAY, IF YOU HAVEN'T THE COURTESY TO RESPOND TO THIS THREAD IN THE NEXT 15 SECONDS, DON'T BOTHER. WAH! WAH! lol lol

Chris

Neither PCGS nor NGC will cross a PF70 or MS70. The reason being that they cannot properly inspect the edge of the coin and may also have a harder time inspecting the coin through the plastic. Therefore, if you have an NGC PF70 you would have to crack the coin out of its NGC holder and then submit it to PCGS. This greatly increases the risk of the procedure and no doubt dampens the enthusiasm for those who would like to cross a PF70 to PCGS.

There's a lot of people that agree with this. All of my state quarters have been graded by NGC, granted there not 70's but they still don't have the value of the PCGS state quarters.

"would I try to crossover?" no the grading fees would eat me alive.

I'm still in the position of Buy the coin, not the holder. That being said, I still don't have a clue as to why the PCGS slabs tend to be more desirable than NGC. I have seen overgraded and undergraded in both slabs. I just don't understand why PCGS has better value than NGC. Both are the TOP 2 TPG's in the industry. I would think that both would be equally respected by now.

Neither PCGS nor NGC will cross a PF70 or MS70. The reason being that they cannot properly inspect the edge of the coin and may also have a harder time inspecting the coin through the plastic. Therefore, if you have an NGC PF70 you would have to crack the coin out of its NGC holder and then submit it to PCGS. This greatly increases the risk of the procedure and no doubt dampens the enthusiasm for those who would like to cross a PF70 to PCGS.

Since I've never submitted anything for cross, I was never aware of this. Crackout? No way! I'm not going to take any chances. Thanks, Tom!

Chris

......I still don't have a clue as to why the PCGS slabs tend to be more desirable than NGC.

Do you think it is because they photograph better? :insane:

Chris

I still don't have a clue as to why the PCGS slabs tend to be more desirable than NGC.
A few reasons have been mentioned here in the past:

(1) PCGS generally has lower pops than NGC and the result is they are more conditionally rare

(2) PCGS reg site only allows PCGS coins; NGC reg site allows NGC and PCGS coins

(3) PCGS has a better guarantee for copper

(4) PCGS slabs look better to some, particularly for gold and small coins

It took you an entire 39-minutes to respond to my response to you, Chris. hm I don't know if that is beyond the time limits for a response to a response. hm hm (tsk):insane:

It took you an entire 39-minutes to respond to my response to you, Chris. hm I don't know if that is beyond the time limits for a response to a response. hm hm (tsk):insane:

lol lol lol lol lol

I was eating lunch! However, since I didn't live up to my own requirements, please accpet my sincerest apology. I wouldn't want to make you cry.

Chris

PS. I'm going to watch the PGA and NASCAR, now, so I won't be available except for the possibility of commercial breaks.

15 seconds...ooops...I'm sorry, didn't read that...

*******************************RESPONSE DELETED***************************

15 seconds...ooops...I'm sorry, didn't read that...

*******************************RESPONSE DELETED***************************

That's okay, Mikey. I think it is sometimes referred to as being "elegantly late".

By the way, I really enjoyed your Milwaukee report. Unfortunately, down here there are so many elderly drivers who can't see and who refuse to stop driving, even crossing the street legally can be hazardous.

Chris