• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Three Original Capped Bust Halves

45 posts in this topic

Ok, I got my Overton Book out, and here's what I come up with:

1822 - Looks like an O-112 (I am pretty sure it is Obverse 12, but I am torn between reverses K and L, so my second guess would be O-113).

1824 - Looks like an O-106 to me.

1824/1 - With the apparent die crack in United, I would make this out to be an O-101a.

Thanks for the attribution practice!

Ok, I got my Overton Book out, and here's what I come up with:

1822 - Looks like an O-112 (I am pretty sure it is Obverse 12, but I am torn between reverses K and L, so my second guess would be O-113).

1824 - Looks like an O-106 to me.

1824/1 - With the apparent die crack in United, I would make this out to be an O-101a.

Thanks for the attribution practice!

You are 2 for 3, Jeff. The one 1824 is a 113, not 106. On the reverse you can barely see the diagnostic die lump above the left wing, but, check the relationship of the C (in 50 C) to the branch above it. On the 113 the branch reachs nearly to the middle of the C; on 106 it barely reaches the C.

By the way, Mike, nice haul. I tried for the 1822 myself, but got blown out of the water. Glad you were able to keep the 3 coins together since I didn't get the one I wanted.

Jim

Those are three very desirable Busties you won. If you submit them to a grading service, be sure to report back here with the results. Sheridan usually grades conservatively.

I will start a new thread on these coins re: the grading aspect, because I think it's always interesting to grade Busties. They are so peculiar in their own way.

+ I submitted them to PCGS and go the grades back.

For anyone learning about lettered edge coins, note the color of the recesses of the edge letters, and that it matches the color of the coin. Next time you think a coin is original, check the recesses. When coins are cleaned, no one seems to remember to clean the edge lettering.

This is an extremely informative thread that needs a bump. If the provenance is undisputable then these coins should be submitted as evidence as to what an "original" Bust Half actually looks like. After all, the TPGS's seem not to know since they grade probably more AT Busts than any other denominational series.