• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone engraved this...

11 posts in this topic

Pocket watch with a _wonderful_ two sided engraving.

Gold-filled case, 17J Elgin - not special except for the contemporary engraving. Oh, and it runs like a top!

Watch2.jpg

Watch1.jpg

Thought I'd share - I only own two watches, a Casio and this one. (thumbs u

I wish I knew some more about it. Other than the obvious history of the watch and it's manufacture I don't know who the engraver was. It's definitely a pre-depression engraving, as the watch dates to about the turn of the century.

Anyway here's how I received it:

My father and I were walking a local coin show a five or six years ago and I spotted it in a showcase. I looked for a moment at both sides, louped it and moved on, as the asking price was well above what I feel the piece is worth. I thought about it a few times throughout the day, considering what I might offer for the piece. We were quite busy that day perusing stock boxes and filling want lists, and when I went back later that dealer had packed up and left. doh!

I must have had a twinkle in my eye when I looked, because despite the fact that I never went back to look at it and never mentioned it again - my father snuck back there at some point and purchased it. It was given to me a year or so later for my 25th birthday.

It wasn't running at that time, and the crystal was cracked. But my local watchmaker gave it a good cleaning and put a crystal in, and it's been keeping good time ever since.

I don't carry it - especially since it's a gold-filled case - I don't want that nasty bronze color to start showing through. Plus, it's reminder of the kind-hearted nature of my father; and the fact that he and I often understand each other without speaking.

That's a cool looking watch. Perhaps you should send a PM to supertooth since I believe he might be able to help you. (thumbs u

First nice looking watch and second that is a pretty cool story, the way you received it makes the watch even more special. Again cool story, thanks for sharing!!

That's very cool. And to me it looks like the watch had a place for the name, maybe date, on the shield. seems to me if somebody would have payed for this watch to be engraved like such, it would undoubtedly be there. So in conclusion; my opinion is that, it was made in china.

:baiting: