• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

? 1928 half $ What am i missing ?

15 posts in this topic

I agree with Jeff 100%. Their are already people who have bid more than the coin is worth. There will be one who will puke upon receipt of the coin. Max grade VF and who knows what the reverse looks like.

This is probably a $5-$10 coin, why bother counterfeiting it?

Because if it is a counterfeit, then it is probably a contemporary one and at the time it was made it represented rough one fourth of a days pay. So it would have had the purchasing power that a twenty dollar bill does today. And people do counterfeit twenties today because it is worthwhile to do so.

I don't think I buy that theory Conder, much as I respect your knowlege and opinions. If it was a turn of the century Barber quarter, I would agree, since a quarter was a lot then and silver was only 40 cents an ounce. By 1928, Henry Ford's $5/day wage was around for a while and by 1928 auto workers were making 75 cents an hour, even for more basic laborers, a quarter might have only been a couple hours wage back then.

I don't think I buy that theory Conder, much as I respect your knowlege and opinions. If it was a turn of the century Barber quarter, I would agree, since a quarter was a lot then and silver was only 40 cents an ounce. By 1928, Henry Ford's $5/day wage was around for a while and by 1928 auto workers were making 75 cents an hour, even for more basic laborers, a quarter might have only been a couple hours wage back then.

A couple hours of wage for some is well over $20.00, so if you made enough of them, your looking at a pretty good paycheck.

Just for the record I think the coin is legit. If you look at some of his other listing's you'll see that he used some type of magnification device. Which makes the coin look funny.

It just looks like a poor pic of a low grade Qtr to me. Looks to have been dipped to death and possibly photos hiding some buff marks also.

Yes, that is true, which is why today there is a problem with people using color laserjets to whip out a couple of twenties for the weekend. It would not be nearly as common if they had to put in the time and hard work to manufacture a coin! The whole reason the small denomination Barber coins were so common around the turn of the 20th century was because silver was so cheap, and the counterfeiters often made coins with more silver content than the Mint! To me it's just confusing the issue when comparing counterfeiting a quarter in the 1920s or 1930s to counterfeiting an inflation adjusted equivalent amount in paper currency today.

Yes, that is true, which is why today there is a problem with people using color laserjets to whip out a couple of twenties for the weekend. It would not be nearly as common if they had to put in the time and hard work to manufacture a coin! The whole reason the small denomination Barber coins were so common around the turn of the 20th century was because silver was so cheap, and the counterfeiters often made coins with more silver content than the Mint! To me it's just confusing the issue when comparing counterfeiting a quarter in the 1920s or 1930s to counterfeiting an inflation adjusted equivalent amount in paper currency today.

Point taken. (thumbs u

You are making the assumption that a counterfeit 1928 quarter was made in 1928. 1928 was a time of relative affluence and there would not have been much need for a circulating counterfeit quarter. But what if it was made say four years later than the date on the coin? Say in 1932 when 25% of the workforce was out of a job and many workers that were working were happy to get a dollar a day. The cost of the silver was still way below the face value at the time, assuming that they used full fineness. If they debased it the profit was even greater, and most of the circulating counterfeits were made of base metal..

I think a lot of the fake coinage we see, including a lot of the low grade fake Barbers, were made during the depression of the thirties. It was a way for desperate men to keep food on the table for their families.