• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buying and selling

10 posts in this topic

hi everyone!

just wondering what you think about this. you are wanting to buy a coin, you like the price and you read the conditions of the ad. you understand the price and shipping and so forth and you send your money and wait for the coin,great. now why is it when you see an ad that someone is 'buying' a coin, you are expected to send them the coin and you wait for the money? hmmmmmmm

thoughts anyone?

steve

You send the coin before you get the money?

I only do that to people I know well. If I put an ad in a paper or something and someone wanted me to send them the coin before I got the money from them, I'd tell them to go pound sand.

I agree with Chad here. If I know someone I'm selling a coin to, no problem. I don't send no coin to a stranger hoping for the money. Unless that person was referred by someone I know and trusted.

I think that's the way most buying/selling goes on here. It's understood that the buyer pays, then the seller ships - immediately upon a paypal payment, possibly longer if it's a check (so the check can clear). Some sellers will ship on your word that a check is in the mail if they know you. That's a sign of respect and not something to be expected or asked for by the buyer.

If a seller doesn't ship, they'll quickly be hounded out of the forums and get blacklisted by many of us here.

A good seller has many buyers and a good buyer will get many sellers. Example: Some of the more well known forum members as a buyer vs someone unknown to the forum as the seller.

John

thanks for the replies. so what do you do when you see a listing in cw or nn that itemizes the price they will pay you for particular grades and dates? they are saying in the ad that 'the check will be sent as soon as they receive the coins'

i'm guessing i should forget them?

once again thanks in advance.

It sound like you are wanting to sell to those buyers on the back of the want ads. They will always lowball your coins when sending you a check and hoping you will accept the offer. The problems is, when you receive the check(which is much less than expected) because in need of funds for some other reason, one is more likely to accept the offer. I would say look at all different options first before taking this offer.

John