• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milwaukee

30 posts in this topic

I don't know if it's just my imagination or not, but I find that the pedestrians in Milwaukee are very obedient to the traffic signals. I realize this as I look to my left and then to the right and cross the streets, dodging cars like I did when growing up in NYC. But while I'm doing this, I notice nobody else is, rather, they are still standing at the corner waiting for the light to change. It's all very polite, actually, and I'm finding people here a lot friendlier than in the New England area where I now reside.

The trip was only 2 hr and 15 min but a piece of my luggage was destroyed by the guys who examine luggage. They inserted a note relinquishing liability, stating that if you had your luggage locked, they had the right to tear it open. Problem is, I didn't have my luggage locked.

The room I'm staying in is at the Straz Tower which is part of Marquette University, for $43/ night. Not a bad deal, considering I'm saving about $130/night this way and X5=$650, which could buy me a nice coin. Unfortunately the room is just that, a $43/night room. When I got to the building, I stopped in front of the doors, expecting them to swing open. They didn't. Then I realized, this was not a hotel. When I made it to my room, I opened the door and there were two 'bunk' type beds, two desks, a small bureau and a bathroom that scared the hell out of me.

The shower stall is actually part of the bathroom, partitioned off by a plastic curtain on wire hooks, with the drain area depressed a bit into the ground, so the water doesn't spread all over the place. I was actually scared to get in it, but braved it and then dried myself off with the one towel they gave me, much like sandpaper.

Fortuantely there was a TJ MAX nearby, so I picked up a Ralph Lauren beach towel for $10 and a piece of luggage on wheels type so I'd be able to carry my stuff back home.

I paid the $100 so I could get on the bourse during so called dealer hours, which I think was a good thing, because it gave me time to find and talk to some dealers I wanted to meet before the crowds started coming in.

I finally met Mike Prinz and Larry Whitlow, two very good people that I've come to know, who also have great coins. That was a good thing. I made it to Laura Sperber's table and said hello. She actually knew who I was (by my screen name) so I was impressed. I showed her some Busties I bought, which it seemed like she liked, and that I also found impressive. I met Don Willis of Premium Numismatics, who had his PCGS registry set of Bust Havles on display. That was quite an impressive labor of love, to be sure, and it was nice to see it in person.

Sheridan Downey's table was ALWAYS crowed, and understandably so, considering the quality of his material. Even though I was trying to divest myself of some Bust material, I couldn't resist bidding in his auction, because Brad Higgins (Slumlord) consigned his three ORIGINAL Busties (stored in a safe for 150 years {I'll go into this more a little later}) to this auction. I bid fairly aggressively, and by gosh, was lucky enough to win all three, which can now stay together. When I get back, I'll photograph them, and since they are raw, I'll be able to photograph the edges also. I'll go into more detail about their history as well. It was really great meeting Brad, who is one of those REAL collectors that have awesome knowledge about Bust material. Absolutely awesome.

I had a good time meeting Rexcat (Paul), and we covered a lot of ground in the middle of the Bourse floor, talking about coins, jobs, people, home towns etc...

There were a group of Bust Half Nut Club people that I met and had great conversation about Busties in general, and was able to examine some nice Bust material that was either theirs or for sale at certain dealers tables. I tried convincing some of them to join the NGC board, but it was like a foreign entity to them, but who knows, maybe some of them will join up!

Of course, I spent a lot of time at Dave Wnuck's and John Agre's table (CoinRaritiesOnline). Two really fine people, great dealers, and I can just see Dave's brain just clicking away while he evaluates and assesses coins. What a skill. He truly amazes me, and in the short time I've known him, I've really learned a hell of a lot.

I also paid a visit to Doug Winter's table. He's definitely a cool guy, very attorney like with a keen vision. I brought my original bust halves to his table, which he seemed to appreciate, so we were able to talk about originality in coins for a bit.

Well...I'm going back a little later to meet some BHNC members et. al., at Sheridan Downey's table to make some dinner plans, and tommorrow, a bunch of interesting meetings I may attend. Problem is, as soon as the lights go out and the slides are being shown, I revert back to how I was when I was in graduate school attending lectures, and just nod off...they might as well be saying blahblahblahblahblahblah blah...some things never change!

Oh...one other thing...I had planned on participating in the Heritage auction and brought a list for lots to examine. First thing I did when I got there. Honestly, they all sucked. A lot of AT, fooled surfaces, strange stuff and very sub-standard in both NGC and PCGS holders. The Bechtlers were wildly tones, which could be consistent with the alloys used, but terribly hairlined. Hard for me to take, and probably impossible to avoid, so I didn't bid as I had planned.

There was a Chalmer's Shilling that I found interesting, but it had already been bid up to $12,500.00 which was getting out of my league, so I didn't even follow it. I'll check later to see what it sold for.

The Bust material was just terrible. Needles to say, I didn't attend any of the auctions.

Well...got to go...I'll update you when I can and when I can takes these photos of the coins I mentioned, I'll put those up too...!

I'm finding people here a lot friendlier than in the New England area where I now reside

Of course they are shrug.gif

What was in your luggage that they felt the need to tear into it hm . Looking forward to the images.

Have fun :applause: !!!

Thanks, Mike, for the bourse discourse. lol

It sounds like the trip was worth it, just for the bust halves, alone. Congrats on your Newp! Can't wait for the photos.

Thanks, Mike, for the bourse discourse. lol

It sounds like the trip was worth it, just for the bust halves, alone. Congrats on your Newp! Can't wait for the photos and more about the coins.

Mike, great report. I was in MKE but had to leave today. I didn't get a chance to check out the show. I look forward to more reports.

Awesome report! I can't wait till the Sheridan Auction results post...as I wait here patiently having a nice Belgian brew to calm the anxiety...for I have 3 bids in myself... :pullhair:

Awesome report! I can't wait till the Sheridan Auction results post...as I wait here patiently having a nice Belgian brew to calm the anxiety...for I have 3 bids in myself... :pullhair:

Almost the same shape here...although mine is a domestic brew, and I have 4 bids in...Hopefully, not on the same coins you and Mike bid on.

Great report Mike! I felt like I was there with you! Shame about the quality of bust material, but I guess that's par for the course nowadays. As for the people being polite and not walking in traffic, you get that a lot the further west you go. I lived and worked in New York for five years, and when I lived in Seattle I once actually got a ticket and had to go to court for jaywalking! Sounds like you're having a nice time, and for that I am glad.

Thanks for the extended report...and yes, images of those three beauts is in anticipation.

I hear the Meter Maids can give out J-Walking tickets in Milwaukee...lol

Well, my final update on Milwaukee, as I'm leaving tommorrow and said my goodbyes to everyone today. I think a lot of people are actually looking forward to going home. I am, though, I had a really good time. I miss my family...and my bed!

Last night I had dinner with about a dozen members of the BHNC. We went to an upscale German restaurant. About half of the crew arrived about 1/2 hr late because one of the drivers misplaced his keys. He didn't realize he put them in his left pocket instead of his right :kidaround:. So the other half patiently waited drinking German beers and Belgian ale. Finally we decided we'd order our appetizers while we were waiting, but it wasn't until way after they had arrived that the appetizers started to actually come to the table.

Now you have to realize that this was a BIG table, seating 12, and the waitress put down a tiny thing of butter and a small basket of bread at one end. It was actually rather odd, and finding her was even more difficult that having to pass the butter down to the other end of the table. The German version of French onion soup I ordered was actually pretty good. And the bread was pretty good also, so I figured the rest of the meal should be even better.

We waited and waited and waited. It was pretty funny, because we'd get caught up in conversation and then look at our watches and realize that the waitress had dissappeared for 1/2 hr. Finally she came and took our orders. I asked for the Weiner Schnitzel. I figured that would be the safest thing to order. I mean, what could they do wrong to a Weiner Schniztel??? Well....you can only guess the rest...

But the company was good, and one of the member's wife was a naturally born German, so she complained, politely, about the bread situation, and maybe a few other things, and in the end, they took 25% off the bill for the inconvenience they caused.

When the manager came by, she asked me if I liked the dinner? Here is where one has to decide rather quickly whether to be truthful and tell her it was worst meal you've had in ages, the Weiner Schnitzel was oily and breaded poorly, that the Spaetzle was hard, that there was no salt and pepper at the table and the idea that there was only one tiny butter dish for a table of 12...well....I decided to lie and I told her it was a wonderful dinner...and I didn't know whether I felt guilty about lying or that I felt guilty about thinking the truth...which made me laugh, because it reminded me of a Mary Tyler Moore episode...

What seemed like about 4 hr later, we finally parted and said our goodbyes.

It was one of the longest dinners I've had in ages, but it was fun, nonetheless.

This morning I got up and I had a whole day of seminars planned. I got to the Bourse at about 10 because I slept late. By the time I looked at my watch, a couple of hours had passed by and I was already missing two lectures. It reminded me, once again, of graduate school, and that just put a knot in my stomach and my reflex reaction was to not want to go to lecture at all..I was having too much fun on the Bourse.

I decided to take a break and go to Walgreens to pick up some bottled tea and coffee for my room, and on my way out I got a call from RexCat (Paul), so we went for lunch at a great Italian restaurant and talked coins and photography. After that, I decompensated a little in my room and went back to the convention center to look at more coins. There was an 1842-S $10 Liberty that I had eyed in a recent BM auction but unable to view the lots, I didn't bid. Now, I saw if in John Hamrick's table, examined it, loved it, put it back and walked away. I knew damn well I'd have to go back and buy it. It's an NGC AU58, not the best strike, and very bagmarked, but also non-cleaned, non-hairlined and originally toned. How could I say no to such a rarity? I searched and searched the floor for original gold, and honestly, the only 'original' gold I could find was at Kagin's table, but the price tag of 23K for a gorgeous fantastic wonderful Bechtler, was just plain out of my reach.

I actually showed this $10 piece to dealers I knew after I bought it, because I knew they'd probably hate it (actually only 1/2 did) but my gut feeling on this coin was to just buy it, justified by it's sheer originality.

Another coin I drooled over was an 1821 Bust Quarter, PCGS 53 that Wayne Herndon had at his table. A totally lovely coin, with that original grey/blue carpet and nice bluish album toning around the edges, and the luster just shimmering through. Unfortunately, my funds had run out and I couldn't buy it. Of course, this is the coin I will be thinking about tonight!

I finally met IGWT (Lou) which was a pleasant surprise. I heard he was there, but didn't know how to find him. It's funny, because I was at Mike Prinz' table and bumped into him there, not knowing who he was. I thought he was one of the BHNC members I had dinner with last night, but he wasn't, and I was a little embarassed that I made that mistake. Then, later on I was back at Mike Prinz' table and he properly introduced me to Lou, telling me that he was on the NGC board. Of course, lights went off in our heads and at that point, we realized who we each were. We had a great time talking about coins, and being a very nice fellow

and having a really nice numismatic mind, it was a pleasure to meet him...finally!

My hunt for John Kraljevich went without any success. Every time I made it to the Stack's table, he had either just left or was at a meeting. We've communicated a bit by emails and he helped me out with the Washington Large Eagle I posted a short while ago, so i really wanted to meet him. Finally, on my way out, I went back to the Stack's table, he had just left again, so I asked them if he had a cell phone (which I should have done earlier) but he had left for another meeting, so, that was my last chance to actually meet him..at least for now.

I must say that my favorite dealers, and they know who they are, are probably all very tired of me showing up at their tables, but there was always something to learn from them, or the people around them, and it was hard, not to become a nuisance!

Well, I hope I didn't bore you too much with all these details. It remains to be said that I ended up NOT attending any of the lectures. I guess I'm still an undisciplined student!

Nice report on the show Mike, (thumbs u

I’m also glad to read that the folks of Milwaukee left a positive impression on you, sometimes that don’t happen when people come to town. :insane: :insane: :insane:

Eh Winston! Don’t worry about the friendlier comment, Mike was our guest, folks is on their best behavior. :devil: I’m sure when I come out to New England people would be a lot nicer than the people I live around, maybe it’s the grind of every day life, working, bad traffic that taints my perception of the localz. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Anyway back to the show; the Premium Numismatics Registry set of Bust Halves was awesome to see, great appeal coin after coin. I’d love to find A bust half for my type set with all the good qualities each of those coins had.

The best things that happened at the show were being able to meet a few of the people who post here and chat a bit, finding a really nice large cent for my type set, and selling some coins which enabled me to need only $200 cash to buy the large cent. Haiving spotted the large cent and quoted a price before selling the coins that I had brought really put the pressure on to make up the balance with what I had, ($200 was all the cash I had), but an old large cent, a couple of 2001 proof sets and three Morgans worth their weight in silver later I had all the cash needed with 5 bucks to spare. :eek:

My new addition to “cats meow” is an 1802 Bust Cent, NGC AU50. It’s an S-232, (one of twenty varieties for 1802) and is from the Julies Reiver Collection. I bought the coin from Ed Hipps, a wonderful gentleman with many really nice coins; I enjoyed talking with him and felt I bought my coin for a fair price.

Photos are on the way, but the slab has some bad scratches on it making a good image tough. Here’s the Heritage listing from the 2006 auction:

1802 cent

Excellent reports, Michael! Can't wait to see some photos of your pirzes.

Paul - Fabulous 1802!

Hoot

Ditto! Ditto!

Chris (thumbs u

Congratulations to MikeKing on his new coins! I enjoyed owning them for a number of years and am glad that he had the courage to step up and get all of that group. After the sale, he faced considerable pressure and an opportunity to make some money by the underbidder of the 1822, who was suffering from underbidder's remorse, but resisted. It was a pleasure to meet Michael after corresponding about coins, musical instruments, and fugitives from justice.

The results won't be posted to Downey's website for a few days, but I will happily give results for any specific lots anyone is curious about. The bidding was insane for a terrific group of coins, far superior to what was offered by the big houses.

Congratulations to MikeKing on his new coins! I enjoyed owning them for a number of years and am glad that he had the courage to step up and get all of that group. After the sale, he faced considerable pressure and an opportunity to make some money by the underbidder of the 1822, who was suffering from underbidder's remorse, but resisted. It was a pleasure to meet Michael after corresponding about coins, musical instruments, and fugitives from justice.

The results won't be posted to Downey's website for a few days, but I will happily give results for any specific lots anyone is curious about. The bidding was insane for a terrific group of coins, far superior to what was offered by the big houses.

I'd be interested in what lot 164 went for, the flowing hair contemporary counterfeit.

Great report, and what a treat it was to meet you, Mike! As it happened, I also met Slumlord this go-round, and sat next to him during dinner at an Italian restaurant on Wed. night. We didn't realize that we "know" each other from the boards until the end of the evening . . . and then it was almost like meeting an old friend. It's a neat coincidence that I had the same experience with both the buyer and the seller of those wonderful coins. It's a testament to the cordiality of members of JRCS and BHNC that they tolerate my presence. ;)