• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me decide - hopelessly burired either way UPDATED WITH PICS

17 posts in this topic

I am considering one of two very nicely toned roosie's for my type set. I can't decide which route to take. Assume both are of the same grade and are of equally outstanding eye appeal. Also assume that both go for very roughly X5 of their blast white counterparts.

One is a common date, the other is a "key" date in the series. Which one would you add to the type set:

1) Cut your loses, go for the common date and save about $80

2) Go for the better date, for any number of reasons (please share).

I will point out that acuction archives show the better date going for even more than what the seller is asking, for pieces I didn't find nearly as attractive, but who's to say the greater fool theory isn't at work there.

Obviously another option is to not pay X5 premuims with the hopes of finding one on the cheap elsewhere, but I spent a fair amount of time plowing through archives and posts and do feel these are exceptional peices.

Help!!

I'd go for a key date if the difference is only $80. As for whether or not to pay a toning premium, that's a call only you can make. You'll have to weigh the difficulty of finding a similarly attractive example, the time it would take, and the potential price difference.

That said, if it were me (and not seeing the coins) I'd go for the pricier key and buy it now.

Key dates always have an appeal and a demand. Given the choice between the two as you described, I would go with the key date for the price differential. As to the toning premium you are paying, that is up to you as to what you like, desire and can afford for your collection. Most of all have fun with your purchase and enjoy what you purchase.

There are no true "key" dates within the regular issued silver Roosevelt series, but there are some more expensive dates within this niche. Let's see images.

A few points...

First, I would seek out the advice of a Roosie expert. There are a few here, and lots ATS. PM one and ask their opinion on the coins. I think you will find the Roosie guys very helpful...

Second, if I were in your shoes, I would look for the best looking coin, regardless of rarity. To me, for my type set, it is the look that matters most. If the coin happens to be rare, or a key or semi-key date, so much the better, but it is not something I actively chase. However, that's me -- not you -- so I think you should spend some time thinking about how you want your typeset to look, the fulfil that goal. Should your type set made up of key dates or common dates? Are they all toned, or untoned, etc. Think about the big picture, your vision of your type set, then implement it. I wish I had spent more time early in my type set collecting days thinking, and am having to go back and replace coins that don't fit in the "big picture" -- but that's also part of the fun. :)

Hope this helps...Mike

p.s. this thread is useless without pictures! ;)

Buy the one that you predict will please you more.

If the price you get for it when you is important to you then always be very careful when you pay any kind of significant premium. Collector tastes change much faster than catalog prices.

I have been a serious toned coin collector for over a decade and neither of those dimes speaks to me in a manner to value them anywhere near the $80 that you wrote about originally. If you are going to spend that much for a toned Roosevelt dime then I would strongly suggest you keep looking. I apologize for my honesty.