• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned Morgans

15 posts in this topic

I'm no toned Morgan expert so I thought I'd ask, do these look like real toning or artificial? They do end soon but here is the ebay item #230160000134. Check out the store they all look the same, is this possible?

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-1898-S-PL-TONED-MORGAN-SILVER-DOLLAR-MS67_W0QQitemZ230160000134QQihZ013QQcategoryZ139812QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sorry, Lem, but that is AT all the way. If you are in doubt, look at the sellers other auctions. Isn't it kind of odd that they all are toned nearly the exact same way-what are the odds of that happening? Priced too high anyway for an EF coin-JMO.

I thought so. I wasn't going to buy them, I don't collect Morgans. I have to agree what's the odds. Thanks Jim

I have seen these Morgans with this same seller. These look AT to me also, but I have watched a couple of his auctions and he does get decent premium dollars for these.

It looks like he was trying to create the "Tid-E-Bowl" effect but he overcooked them. Notice how all of the perimeter devices are saturated in color. This is one of mine.

Chris

41968-IMG_1524.JPG.a18ddc9be8eb71b3373dd656da0c1d54.JPG

41969-IMG_1525.JPG.bf0249f35d02f240c80e47ae31aebf4d.JPG

That brings up another question Bobby, if this seller is getting a premium for these coins is there a market for AT coins? I myself would not want AT coins and since I do not collect these type of coins I really do not know.

That brings up another question Bobby, if this seller is getting a premium for these coins is there a market for AT coins? I myself would not want AT coins and since I do not collect these type of coins I really do not know.

There's always a market for these. As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 3 catagories:There are those that oppose AT and will not buy, those that like the colors and will buy, and then those that do not know the difference and will buy. I would say, with 2 catagories over-riding the first, this is what helps these AT'd coins sell for the dollars they do.

I remember a discussion not too long ago about the same seller, with very similar looking coins. a couple of people mentioned the slide show effect that he had with his pictures.

I remember a discussion not too long ago about the same seller, with very similar looking coins. a couple of people mentioned the slide show effect that he had with his pictures.
Yup. The slide effect thing of his is the only part of his auctions I'm interested in. :D